Nothing beats a classic chocolate cupcake, right? This no-oven eggless chocolate cupcake recipe is perfect for any occasion, be it a last- minute birthday baking plan, or midnight craving, these cupcakes are bound to save the day. And what is better than chocolate cupcakes? Chocolate cupcakes topped with some chocolate fudge frosting, yes! Let me show you how to make the best chocolate cupcakes.
INGREDIENTS USED IN NO OVEN CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
I am using vegetable oil instead of butter. Oil-based desserts are much lighter and have a fluffier sponge. They also have a longer shelf life than desserts made from butter.
Superfine sugar is the same as caster sugar and that is what I have used in this recipe. I would advise you to not use granulated sugar in dessert recipes. It has big sugar chunks that never fully dissolve into your dessert and you end up with sugar chunks in the end. You can read more about sugars here.
Yogurt is a very important ingredient in this recipe because it is responsible for adding structure and texture to eggless cold coffee cupcakes. In a normal recipe, this would be done with eggs. Now I know a lot of you are always wondering whether to use Greek yogurt or not. I always use normal homemade yogurt/Dahi for these cupcakes. Sometimes homemade yogurt can be too watery. If that is the case you should separate the thick yogurt portions and use that. In times when homemade yogurt is just slightly watery, you can use it just as is. There is no need to strain it. Hope you don’t rush to the market to buy Greek yogurt the next time you need to use yogurt in a recipe, haha!
Wondering about more egg substitutes? There is an entire blog post dedicated to that and I know it will give you a better understanding of the entire thing!
· DRY INGREDIENTS
For my dry ingredients, I used all-purpose flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Whenever I am making an eggless dessert, I make sure to sift in my dry ingredients. What this does is, make the dry ingredients that you are adding slightly lighter and therefore incorporate more air into your batter. A decent amount of air is needed in eggless desserts to help them get a better rise.
EQUIPMENTS USED FOR MAKING NO OVEN CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
I have used silicon moulds for baking these chocolate cupcakes in a kadhai.
OTHER RELATED RECIPES FROM THE BLOG
TIPS TO MAKE NO OVEN CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- Do not overmix your batter. This will always lead to cupcakes that are harder to chew and not as soft.
- Be very careful to not overbake the chocolate cupcakes. Because of the already brown color, judging by looking whether a chocolate cupcake is fully baked or not is tough. The best way to know if the cupcake is ready is by inserting a skewer or a toothpick in the centre. If the toothpick comes out clean, it means your cupcake is ready.
- Always only fill your cupcake liners 2/3rds of the way. Overfilling a cupcake batter is a complete disaster at the last step and there is no going back from it. If you want, you can fill one cupcake liner first and do a trial to see how much it is actually rising, and then fill other cupcake liners together and bake.
- 3 tbsp oil
- 5 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup yogurt
- Espresso shot (1 tbsp water + 1 tsp coffee powder )
- 6 tbsp maida
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- Add sugar and oil in a bowl and whisk well until nicely combined.
- Add yogurt and espresso shot to this mixture and whisk again.
- Sift in all the dry ingredients into this mixture and fold gently till no flour pockets are left.
- Line 5-6 silicon cupcake mould with cupcake liners and scoop ¾ scoop into the liners.
- Set a cooker on a heat source and spread some salt at the base. Place a low stand on it and heat this for about 5-7 mins.
- Then, carefully place the cupcakes on a steel plate and over the stand.
- Tighten the cooker lid properly and heat on medium-low heat for about 12-15 mins on a gas stove or 15-20 mins if using an induction until a skewer comes out clean.
- Pipe your favourite frosting on top of the cupcakes once completely cooled and enjoy!
If you like my no oven chocolate cupcakes and happen to make them in your kitchen, do tag me on Instagram and share pictures with me using #Bakewithshivesh. Happy Baking!