Imagine yourself on a rainy day, all curled up in your bed with no place to go and you crave something basic but yet sinful! Well, I happen to be in that situation and felt like going back to my basic eggless vanilla and eggless chocolate cake recipe. They are perfect for almost any day actually. I don’t even remember since when I have been using them for almost all the occasions or even on an ordinary day!
These recipes are so versatile and can have different variations to them without letting the texture or taste being affected. I love love love a good, soft and moist vanilla cake on some days and on others what’s better than a same old classic chocolate cake? These recipes can be used in your kitchen as a sponge for a layered cake or when incorporated with nuts, chocolate chips or absolutely anything; as a tea cake!
Baking tips for eggless Vanilla cake
- Before making eggless vanilla cake, always keep your baking tin ready with parchment paper and some oil, spread out properly.
- While combining dry and wet ingredients, do not over mix! Over mixing of a batter will turn your cake dense as all the air incorporated will be deflated.
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature, if not specifically mentioned in the recipe of being cold/warm.
- Always set aside yogurt and baking soda in the beginning of your eggless vanilla cake as it has to bubble up properly before it is combined with rest of the ingredients.
- You can absolutely add any kind of nuts or dried fruits to the eggless vanilla cake as the batter is on the thicker side.
- For the eggless vanilla cake, do not use a very runny yogurt but the yogurt which is on the thicker side.
- Never forget to pre-heat your oven beforehand baking your cakes as it is a very necessary step.
- I know waiting for the cakes to cool can be tedious but for clean sides, let the cakes cool completely before removing them from the cake tins.
Baking tips for eggless Chocolate cake
- Always sift in the dry ingredients for aeration, especially here because it has cocoa powder which has a lumpy texture.
- Using coffee powder is really essential in this recipe because it doesn’t add any specific coffee flavor to the cake but it helps intensify the chocolate flavor we need.
- Adding salt makes it a balance of flavors and really makes a difference, so do not skip this ingredient.
- Always pre-heat your oven beforehand and make sure your baking tin is ready.
- To make your eggless chocolate cake lighter, do not over-mix.
Difference between my eggless Vanilla cake and Chocolate cake recipes
Eggless vanilla cake batter is thicker in this recipe than the chocolate cake, so don’t be startled if you face that too while making them both. The texture of the eggless vanilla cake is moister as compare to the chocolate cake because of the addition of cocoa powder. But both are moist in regarding of their flavors.
Eggless chocolate cake is on the lighter side than the eggless vanilla cake. The flavors are definitely different as in vanilla cake we are adding vanilla extract and a good quality vanilla extract is very necessary here. Eggless chocolate cake has an intense chocolate flavor because of the coffee powder we are adding.
If you like dry cakes but look for slightly healthier alternatives, then you’ll absolutely love my Whole-wheat Strawberry Cake.
Eggless Vanilla Cake & Chocolate Cake Recipe
- For vanilla cake
- 2 + ¼ (270g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon (6g) baking powder
- 1 ½ cup (428g) yogurt
- ½ teaspoon (2g) baking soda
- 1 + ¼ cup (280g) caster sugar
- ¾ cup (180ml) vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon (7ml) vanilla extract
- For chocolate cake
- ¾ cup (90g) cocoa powder
- ¾ cup (180ml) hot water
- 1 tablespoon (12g) coffee powder
- 1 + ½ cup (300g) caster sugar
- ¾ cup (180ml) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (285g) yogurt
- 1 + ½ cup (285g) flour
- 1 teaspoon (4g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (3g) baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180*C and line an 8 inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- To make the vanilla cake, in a bowl add the yogurt and baking soda and give it a quick mix and set it aside to foam up.
- In a separate bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder and set aside.
- As the yogurt mixture has foamed up, add the caster sugar and oil in it and give it a quick mix.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, till no large flour pockets are present.
- Do not over mix at this stage.
- If you want, you can add any kind of nuts or dried fruits at this stage.
- Pour the batter into the lined cake tin and bake it at 180*C for about 30-35 minutes or until the
- skewer comes clean.
- Let it cool properly and remove the cake from the tin. Enjoy!
- To make the chocolate cake, line an 8 inch pan with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven to 180*C.
- In a small bowl, add hot water and coffee powder and give it a good mix.
- Take another bowl and add cocoa powder to it. Pour the coffee mix over it and mix them all together to form slurry.
- In the same bowl add caster sugar, vegetable oil and yogurt and combine them all using a balloon whisk.
- Next, place a sieve over the bowl and add in all the dry ingredients including maida, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt. Use the spatula to combine the batter.
- Pour it in the prepared cake tin and bake it at 180*C for about 30-35 minutes or until the skewer inserted comes clean.
- Let the cake cool and then remove the cake from the tin. Enjoy!
If you liked these recipes and make it in your kitchen, then do share pictures with me by tagging me on Instagram using #bakewithshivesh. Happy Baking!
Raazia Tabassum says
Hello shivesh! How many eggs should I use in the place of yogurt for both chocolate and vanilla cake? Thank you for the recipe!
Wow! The cake looks just amazing. Was searching for an eggless cake recipe, found yours, thanks for sharing it!
Chef Bakers says
Nice recipe!!! Tempting pictures.
K Sony says
My egg less vanilla cake is undercooked.its too moist and sticky. Can you please tell me the reason? And I have a confusion of this conversion of “cup into gms”. I took the measurements which is mentioned in the gms. My cake batter was not thick too..
I had the exact same issue.. my batter was not thick and the cake was undercooked
I tried ur vanilla eggless cake recipe.
Came out awesome
Super soft and very simple.
Thank u for the wonderful recipes.
You are making baking very simple and easy.
Thanks a ton Boss!!!!
Can I turn this into a bakery style honey cake?