As winter graces us with its chilly presence, the idea of baking a warmly cinnamon-spiced cake has nestled in my mind. It’s a delightful treat that transcends generational boundaries, winning the hearts of both my wise elders and the younger people around me. There’s something magical about the aromatic dance of spices in the kitchen during this season, and what better way to embrace it than by crafting a cake that brings joy to young and old alike?
The aromatic allure of cinnamon, coupled with the rich, moist texture of a perfectly baked cake, creates a symphony of flavors that captivates the senses and transports us to a cozy haven of indulgence. Cinnamon, a spice with a rich history dating back centuries, brings not only its distinctive taste but also a myriad of health benefits to the table. Join me in the delightful exploration of the harmonious blend of sweetness and spice, as we uncover the magic behind the creation of a cinnamon-spiced cake
Ingredients used in Cinnamon spiced cake
As the sweet cornerstone of our cinnamon-spiced cake, sugar not only adds sweetness but also contributes to the cake’s texture, moisture, and tenderness. It plays a crucial role in caramelization during baking, enhancing both flavor and color.
Serving as the fat component, oil adds moisture and richness to the cake. It ensures a tender crumb and helps the cake maintain its softness over time. Unlike butter, oil doesn’t solidify when cooled, contributing to a more moist and indulgent texture.
Milk contributes to the cake’s liquid content, providing hydration to the dry ingredients. This dairy element also adds richness and tenderness to the cake, resulting in a moist and flavorful outcome.
Infusing a touch of sophistication, Baileys Irish Cream introduces a luscious and distinct flavor profile to the cake. Its creamy, slightly alcoholic notes enhance the overall taste, offering a delightful complexity that elevates the dessert.
The foundation of the cake, flour, provides structure and stability. It binds the other ingredients together and forms the cake’s structure when combined with liquids. All-purpose flour is commonly used, striking a balance between a tender crumb and structural integrity.
These leavening agents work together to make the cake rise. Baking soda reacts with acidic ingredients (like Baileys) to produce carbon dioxide, while baking powder releases carbon dioxide when exposed to moisture and heat. This dynamic duo ensures a light and fluffy texture.
The star of the show, cinnamon powder, brings warm and aromatic notes to the cake. Its spicy-sweet flavor is quintessential in creating that comforting, winter-inspired taste. Cinnamon also adds depth and complexity to the overall flavor profile.
Adding a hint of nuttiness and warmth, nutmeg complements the cinnamon, contributing to the complex spiced flavor. Use it sparingly, as its potent taste can easily dominate the palate.
Infusing a subtle kick, ginger powder brings a touch of heat to the cake. Its spiciness complements the sweetness and enhances the overall warmth of the flavor profile.
EQUIPMENT USED FOR MAKING CINNAMON-SPICED CAKE
This recipe needs staples and basic equipment that are easily available in kitchens or in nearby stores.
I have used a loaf pan to bake this cake.
A spatula and a whisk help to bring this batter together.
OTHER RELATED RECIPES FROM THE BLOG
TIPS TO MAKE CINNAMON SPICED CAKE
- Ensure that ingredients are at room temperature. This promotes even mixing and a smoother batter.
- Baking powder and baking soda are essential for giving the cake for its rise. Make sure they are fresh and not expired for optimal results.
- Make sure to grease and flour your cake pans thoroughly to prevent sticking. You can also use parchment paper rounds at the bottom for easier removal.
- se high-quality, fresh ingredients for the best flavor. Fresh cinnamon and good-quality vanilla extract can make a significant difference in the taste of your cake.
- Mix the batter until just combined. Overmixing can result in a dense cake.
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup baileys
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp baileys
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and grease the loaf pan with butter.
- In a bowl add oil and caster sugar. Mix it well.
- Now add in the milk and baileys. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients like flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, ginger powder.
- Mix until you have a smooth cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove it from the pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the glaze- add sifted icing sugar along with milk and baileys. Mix it until there are no lumps.
- Pour the glaze over the cinnamon spiced cake and enjoy!
If you happen to make this delicious cinnamon spiced cake , do tag me on Instagram and use #BakewithShivesh. I’d love to see your creations. Happy Holidays!