The concept of combining strawberries and chocolate is not merely a culinary coincidence but a carefully crafted symphony that has evolved over time. The marriage of these two iconic ingredients traces its roots to the appreciation of contrast in flavors. The tartness of strawberries complements the bittersweet notes of chocolate, creating a dynamic duo that has stood the test of time in the world of desserts.
the sweet burst of strawberries, the silkiness of mousse, and the decadence of chocolate. As we embark on this exploration of the Strawberry Chocolate Mousse Cake, let’s delve into the origins of this culinary masterpiece and uncover the secrets behind its irresistible allure.
INGREDIENTS USED IN CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY MOUSSE CAKE
The base of the mousse cake is a soft sponge cake. For this recipe, I have used a store-bought Brittania cake in chocolate flavor. It gives a great texture to the mousse cake and also enhances its look. The cake’s chocolate flavour intensifies the overall taste as well
Since the entire recipe is based on a chocolate mousse, good-quality chocolate is a must. Chocolate chips or couverture chocolate are my go-to options for any chocolate dessert. They have a much better flavor. I have used Callebaut Dark Chocolate Callets or van-houten dark chocolate but you can also use a compound bar if there’s no availability.
A good whipping cream gives the entire structure to the mousse cake. It should be stable enough to hold and set in the refrigerator and also have a good fat content so that it can whip well. Whipped cream is what makes the mousse so light and airy.
Some fresh cream is also added to the chocolate to make chocolate ganache before adding it all to the whipped cream. Fresh cream gives a smooth and homogenous texture when combined with chocolate and doesn’t let the chocolate solidify when mixed with whipped cream. It also gives a rich flavour to the whole dessert. I used D’lecta fresh cream to make this chocolate mousse cake.
EQUIPMENTS USED IN MAKING CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY MOUSSE CAKE
As I said, it’s an easy recipe, so it doesn’t require a lot of equipment as well.
Mixing bowls that are sturdy as well as presentable and affordable is important since they are used in so many recipes. I bought mine from here
You also need an electric beater to whip the cream and ultimately bring the mousse together by mixing the whipped cream with chocolate ganache. I use a Borosil Hand mixer.
For the mould to set in the mousse cake, I use a 6-inch springform pan, which is so easy to use and even clean.
RELATED RECIPES FROM THE BLOG
TIPS TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY MOUSSE CAKE
- Line the springform pan with butter paper so that the edges remain clean when demoulded.
- Whip the whipping cream until soft peaks are achieved.
- To make the cream more stable, add a pinch of salt before whipping.
- Make sure that the chocolate completely melts and the ganache has a smooth texture to avoid any lumps in the mousse.
- You can decorate the mousse cake with a simple chocolate ganache or also with praline, chopped nuts or chocolate shavings as well.
- 1 + ½ cup dark chocolate (260g)
- ½ cup fresh cream
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 10-15 slices store bought chocolate cake
- ¼ cup espresso
- 8-9 strawberries, halved
- For the topping
- ¼ cup dark chocolate
- ¼ cup fresh cream
- Line a 7-inch springform pan with parchment and keep it aside.
- Heat the fresh cream in a saucepan set over medium heat untill it just begins to simmer.
- Pour the hot cream over the chopped dark chocolate and mix it together untill smooth and well combined. Let it cool completely.
- In another bowl, add 1 cup of chilled whipping cream and whip it till stiff peaks.
- Now fold in the ganache with the whipped cream and your chocolate mousse is ready.
- Place cake pieces in the bottom of the lined pan and make sure it's all packed nicely. Soak it with the espresso shot.
- Arrange the strawberry halves all along the edges of the cake tin.
- Transfer the chocolate mousse on the top of the cake and flatten it using an offset spatula. Make sure the strawberries don’t get disturbed.
- Refrigerate it for 2-3 hours or until the cake sets completely.
- For the glaze- pour hot cream over the dark chocolate and make it a liquid ganache.
- Pour the ganache over the set mousse cake and enjoyy!!