Let’s dive into the delicious world of hazelnut chocolate cake! Imagine a cake that’s a perfect blend of nutty hazelnut and rich chocolate flavors—a treat for your taste buds. This dessert is like a work of art, made with care and the best ingredients.
Picture layers of cake that are not too dry or too crumbly—just right. And guess what? It gets even better! On top of this heavenly cake sits a luxurious chocolate bar, adding an extra layer of yumminess.
Think of it as a special journey for your senses. Every bite is like a celebration, so get ready to savor the delight of hazelnut chocolate cake, one slice at a time. It’s a sweet experience that makes ordinary moments feel extraordinary.
INGREDIENTS USED IN MAKING HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE CAKE
Sugar sweetens the cake and enhances its overall flavor, also contributing to a tender texture. I usually prefer castor sugar in all my recipes, unless mentioned otherwise. Castor sugar melts evenly, unlike granulated sugar. If you don’t have castor sugar in hand, feel free to substitute it with powdered sugar in this recipe. Sugar not only sweetens the cake but also plays a crucial role in the structure and texture.
To make my eggless chocolate bar cake moist, soft, and light, I use regular milk in this recipe. Make sure it is a little warm and not cold straight from the fridge. Milk adds moisture and richness to the cake, ensuring a moist and delectable outcome. The fats and proteins in the milk contribute to the richness of the cake.
Flour provides the structure of the cake by forming a network of gluten when mixed with liquids. The gluten network traps gases produced by leavening agents, allowing the cake to rise and maintain its shape. I have used regular maida in this eggless chocolate bar cake. Feel free to swap half of it for whole wheat flour or oat flour. Make sure you increase the quantity of milk in that case, as this flour absorbs more liquid in a recipe.
BAKING POWDER AND BAKING SODA
Leavening agents create carbon dioxide gas when activated by liquid and heat. This gas expands during baking, causing the cake to rise and become light and airy. I have used both baking powder and soda in this eggless chocolate bar cake. Baking soda and baking powder would react to the liquid in the recipe. I use this baking powder and this baking soda.
To replace eggs in this recipe, the best substitute is yogurt or homemade dahi. When eggs are replaced with dahi, you get the perfect tender, moist crumb that is achieved with eggs. You can either use regular homemade dahi (do not hang it and remove water from it) or store-bought yogurt. Both of them work well.
Vegetable oil, being a liquid fat, keeps the cake moist for a more extended period compared to solid fats like butter. It also enhances the cake’s tenderness and contributes to a delicate crumb. A regular flavorless oil is your best bet while baking. Any other oil usually leaves an aftertaste, which you do not want in your dessert. I have used vegetable oil in this cake.
To make this cake chocolatey, I’m using this unsweetened cocoa powder by Cadbury. It gives an immense chocolate flavor to any baked good. You can use any good-quality cocoa powder that is easily available to you in nearby grocery stores.
I have used this chocolate bar on this cake as it sits perfectly on the cake and gives an immense flavour. You can use milk chocolate also if you don’t like the bitterness of the dark chocolate.
BAKING TIPS FOR HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Always sift in the dry ingredients for aeration, especially here because it has cocoa powder which has a lumpy texture.
- You can use coffee powder in this recipe because it doesn’t add any specific coffee flavor to the cake but it helps intensify the chocolate flavor we need.
- Always pre-heat your oven beforehand, and make sure your baking tin is ready.
- To make your eggless chocolate cake lighter, do not over-mix.
EQUIPMENT USED FOR MAKING HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE BAR CAKE
The kind of equipment you use when you’re baking makes a huge difference to the result! I would recommend you use good-quality mixing bowls and other equipment so that your chocolate bar cake comes out delicious!
To mix all my ingredients in, I’m using Borosil’s 100% Borosilicate Glass Bowl which is microwave and oven-safe, plus the bowls are super easy to clean and handle, which makes my baking process hassle-free!
To bake my cake, I have used my Borosil 60L Oven. It’s been a part of my kitchen for a few months now and I love it.
I have melted the chocolate bar on the cake in this microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- 1 + ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup oil
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 + ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 chocolate bar
- Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius and grease and line a 8X4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add sugar and oil in a bowl and whisk really well until it becomes pale in colour.
- Add in the yogurt and milk and mix again until everything is smooth.
- Sift in the dry ingredients that is, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda and fold everything using a spatula till no flour pockets remain and a smooth batter is achieved.Don’t overmix the batter.
- Lastly add the hazelnuts and fold them evenly in the batter.
- Pour the batter in a lined and greased loaf pan and bake for 50-55 mins at 180 degree Celcius.
- Once the cake is cooled, place a chocolate bar on the cake and microwave it for 2-3 minute till it just starts to melt and settles on the cake.
If you like my hazelnut chocolate cake recipe and happen to make it in your kitchen, do tag me on Instagram and share pictures with me using #Bakewithshivesh. Happy Baking!