Chocolate cake is definitely a crowd-pleaser that everyone loves! No surprises here- the “Back to Basic Chocolate Cake” recipe is the most popular recipe on my blog. SO many of you have made it in your kitchens and have loved the results. There is also a vegan chocolate cake recipe, which you can read HERE. I decided to make an egg-less version of it for all those who’ve been requesting for one. Here you go-
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 + 1/2 cups castor sugar
- 1 cup curd (yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk + 1 tsp white vinegar, mixed and rested for 5 minutes
- a pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Oil a 9″round cake tin. Dust pans with cocoa, tap out extra
- Whisk cocoa, flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl
- In a large bowl, beat together oil and sugar until the mixture is pale and sugar starts to dissolve.
- Add curd and mix well.
- Beat in vanilla using mixer at low.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with milk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Mix only until well combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter into pans and bake at 180C for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean