I know what you’re thinking – no way this cake gets ready in 6 minutes! But I am here to tell you, that it actually does. One major perk of baking a cake in a microwave is that it takes less time than it would to bake a cake in a microwave. So whether you’re baking a cake last minute for a birthday that you forgot or just because you want to, this is a must try recipe.
I have come up with the perfect microwave chocolate cake that you are going to love! Some might even say it is the world’s best chocolate cake recipe.
Tips for microwave chocolate cake
- We are making this cake in the heating mode and not the convection mode of the microwave. Here, it becomes important to note that you can only use microwave safe cookware. This includes a microwave safe glass cake dish or a silicon baking item.
- Sometimes baking in heating mode can lead to dry cakes. To fix that, you can soak it in a sugar syrup and turn it into a moist cake.
- Always press the ‘echo/stop’ button before baking in a microwave. This ensures that all previous microwave functions have been stopped and you can start fresh.
- After your cake is cooked, the microwave will go under a cooling down process and you will hear some sounds coming from the microwave. Let the microwave cool down completely before turning it off from the back.
I understand that a lot of you do not have ovens at home and this is why everytime I share a recipe, you all ask me whether you can make that in a microwave and how to do the same. Baking a cake in a microwave is super easy, and I have shared so many microwave friendly recipes with all of you over the last months. Nutella Mug Cake recipe – ready in 70 seconds! and Red Velvet Mug Cake- Eggless are my two favorite.
What kind of chocolate to use for microwave chocolate cake
Now if you’re making a chocolate cake, you have to ensure that you are using the best chocolate that is available to you. The quality of chocolate that you use really determines the flavor of the cake.
I know it is hard to find baking and or cooking chocolate during the lockdown. But there is no need to worry because another commonly available chocolate that you can use is Amul. I have been using lots of Amul chocolate these days because I am out of my usual baking chocolate stock. I have no complaints because my brownies and cookies are still turning out great.
The ones I use most often these days are dark chocolate and sugar free chocolate. Another great flavor option is bitter chocolate. It works really well with chocolate desserts.
Chocolate VS Compound
It is possible that a lot of you are utilizing this lockdown to hone your skills as bakers. If you are just starting out, one very important thing that you need to know is that there is a difference between compound and chocolate. I have a detailed article about it on my blog already which talks about which chocolate to use for baking. I would encourage you to go through it and read it thoroughly so that you start on the right foot.
If you like this recipe and you would want to make it in an oven, you can do that as well! The cake will come out beautifully. Just remember, to bake it at 180 degree Celsius for 25-30 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
How to bake this microwave chocolate cake on the convection mode
If you want to bake this cake in the convection mode and not heating mode, you can do that as well. But there are a few things that you would need to keep in mind while baking something in the convection mode. This includes:
- When you put your microwave on the convection mode, it starts functioning like an oven. So first things first, put your microwave on the convection mode. To do that you need to also put it on pre heating. Follow these steps to do the same. First press ‘echo/stop’ button and then press convection. After that you need to press select. Your microwave will automatically go to Pre heating mode. Place the steel wire rack inside. Set the temperature and press start.
- Make sure that your batter is ready to be put in the microwave as soon as the microwave is done preheating because the microwave will only retain that temperature for 10mins. Once you’ve put the cake pan inside, you need to do the entire process again. Set the microwave on the convection mode, set your temperature and this time you also need to fix your time.
- Once your cake is ready, take it out of the microwave and let it cool down completely. Press the stop button and make sure to not switch off the microwave from the main switch. While it’s cooling down, it’ll make a sound. Once the sound stops, it means the microwave has cooled down.
And that is it. You can make this microwave chocolate cake in so many ways, but really what’s a better way than the one that gives you a cake in 6 minutes?
If you make this cake or any of my other recipes, don’t forget pictures with me on my Instagram @shivesh17. Happy baking!
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 + ¼ cup super fine sugar
- 1 cup yogurt ( homemade dahi works)
- 1+ ½ cup maida
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup milk
- In a bowl, add in oil and sugar. Beat this together really well till the mixture becomes light and pale. Now add in yogurt and mix it in as well.
- In the same bowl, sift in all purpose flour, cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Mix everything together. Make sure to be gentle and not knock out all the air from the batter.
- Lastly, add in milk and mix it well. Also add in any nuts of your choice at this stage if you want.
- Transfer your batter to a microwave safe dish, lined with parchment paper.
- Cook this in the microwave for around 6 minutes.
- Serve as you like! Enjoy!
Jus a quick question that crossed my mind.
Why is it that you do not mix baking soda and curd and leave it to froth, like you did in some of the recipes as I remember.
Is there a specific reason? or is it ok to either ways?
I tried baking earlier but could not become confident as everytime something happened and the cake was not upto mark, but i didn’t give up hope and tried for the last time so as a ritual I googled easiest cke recipe and then i came across this site and bam, the cake was phenomenal. I and my parents were so delighted to savour every bite of it. Thank you SHIVESH <3 <3
Just made your Chocolate cake and it turned out really well –
Is it possible to freeze this please ?
I made the cake following your recipe but it get sticky and unccoked from the centre.
First i preheated the oven then microwave it for 6-7 minutes.
Please tell why it happened so?
Hi Shivesh. Can I make this cake in the oven? If yes, then for how long and at what temperature ?
DINA A P says
Wow…. thanks for the easy recipe….my family loved the cake …came out fluffy and right texture. Was a very good first attempt …. thanks to your clear recipe
Jayashree Roy says
I tried it yesterday and it was perfect.
I used malai instead of oil, as I had some, and my daughter insisted on adding some blue berries.
Thanks for the lovely eggless recipe.
Wow Shivesh thanks for the awesome chocolate cake recipe. Results were super. Took 8 minutes in my microwave. Topped with ganache and mint sprinkles. Super soft. To guilty to tell any more. Thanks. Share vanilla recipe please. God bless you.
Madhumitha GI says
Can I use melted (room temperature) butter instead of vegetable oil?
Chef better than you says
The recipe is horrible. The ingredient list is a mistake. God save my cake. Oh god.
I knew there was a classic chocolate cake recipe, easy to follow and make out there and this is it!
It’s very easy to make and tastes heavenly! I really recommend this cake!
nhà thầu xây dựng says
Superb post however , I was wondering if you could write a
litte more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit
more. Thank you!
kinh nghiệm xây nhà ống says
You are so interesting! I do not believe I’ve read a single thing like this before.
So great to discover someone with some original thoughts on this topic.
Really.. thank you for starting this up. This web site is one
thing that’s needed on the internet, someone with a bit of originality!
Hi shivesh, please show cake recipes baked on gas/stove/pan/cooker
Baked it yesterday, it turned out great..I want to know , whether i can bake a vanilla cake by the same method , by skipping the cocoa part and adding few drops of vanilla essence..?
Bhuvaneswari K says
Can I use eggs instead of dahi.. if yes, how many?
This was great!!! I’VE BEEN TRYING TO MAKE CAKE FOR YEARS, AND THIS IS THE CLOSEST IVE GOTTEN TO IT! My parents loved it, thanks!!