With so much snacking happening all day, everyday these days, it gets a little hard to not feel guilty about all the calories that we might gain. Food is one of the few things that is giving all of us comfort right now and I can’t imagine it turning into something negative. This is why I want to share a delicious, yet healthy recipe with all of you that will not only cure your cravings but will make you feel good about yourself.
Chocolate chip cookies are something we all love and are obsessed with. What better comfort food to choose to show you a healthier version of? My recipe for healthy chocolate chip cookies will definitely leave you wanting more. It’s refined sugar and refined flour free. It is also eggless!
If you are looking to make more healthy baked goods, try some of the healthy dessert recipes from my blog! Healthy Gluten Free Quinoa Brownies, Mango Chia Seed Pudding, Whole Wheat Banana Bread, Healthy Date Bliss Balls, and many more.
Healthy ingredients for healthy cookies
You will be very happy to know that these healthy chocolate chip cookies are refined flour free, and refined sugar free. These healthy cookies don’t even have butter in them AND they are eggless!
Instead of all purpose flour, I have used whole wheat flour. I love the nutty and earthy flavor that whole wheat flour adds to baked goods. If you have never used whole wheat flour in your desserts before, I think these cookies are the perfect recipe to start with.
I normally use a combination of caster sugar and light brown sugar in my cookie recipes. This time I used jaggery powder which is also commonly known as shakkar. If you don’t have jaggery, you can also use coconut sugar. It is very commonly available in the local stores these days.
If you are wondering how I made delicious cookies without butter, it is because I used the all natural ghee in this recipe. It worked perfectly well with the batter and gave my cookies a great texture and taste. Now I always add some cornflour in the dry ingredients of my cookie batter because it really adds a great chewiness to my cookies. If you prefer crisp cookies, you can easily leave out cornflour from the dry ingredients.
Tips to keep in mind while making cookies
Cookies are one of the greatest treats and also one of the most simple things to bake. However, there are some tips and tricks that you need to keep in mind if you want to make the ultimate cookies.
- Unless otherwise specified, always use softened butter. If you are using ghee, make sure to not use completely melted ghee. The right consistency of butter/ghee helps in getting the perfect cookie texture.
- Always paddle your softened butter and sugars first till the mixture becomes pale and fluffy. This makes all the difference.
- If you like your cookies to be chewy, you can attain the best chewiness two ways. One by adding brown sugar and two, by adding cornflour.
- If you like your cookies to be thin and crispy, add less flour and more butter. The higher the ratio of flour, the more cakey your cookie will be.
- Always rest your cookie dough for a few hours before you bake cookies out of it. Resting the dough really helps all ingredients to get activated and flavors to combine.
Some baking and storage tips include:
- If you want your cookie to be perfectly round and the same size, use an ice cream scoop to scoop out even cookie dough balls.
- Always maintain an even space between cookie dough balls on a baking tray because they will expand while baking.
- Store your cookies in an airtight container to make sure they don’t lose their freshness and texture.
- If you have extra cookie dough left, you can freeze it and store it for upto 1-2 months.
Over these past few years, I have shared zillion cookie recipes with all of you. I have expressed my love for cookies time and again and I really think they’re a great treat to bake. I mean honestly, if I am baking a batch of cookies at home, good luck trying to make me share some with you, haha!
Baking cookies in a microwave
If your microwave has a convection mode, you can also bake these cookies in it! Cookies do not really have disappointing results. They do not have strict guidelines for temperatures and other baking rules. To bake these healthy chocolate chip cookies in the microwave, preheat until 180 degrees Celsius. Place the cookies evenly on your tray, and allow to bake for 15-17 minutes only. Again, microwaves differ, so keep a sharp eye out for the golden edges!
PS- If your microwave does not accept a flat tray, take that round cake tin out and evenly place your cookie dough onto it. You might take a longer time to bake a sufficient batch of cookies, but you will succeed!
If you love cookies as much as I do then some of my favorite cookie recipes from the blog that I think you absolutely need to try include Chocolate Chip & Pecan Cookies, Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies, and so so many more.
If you bake any of these healthy recipes or cookie recipes, don’t forget to share your pictures with me on my instagram @shivesh17. Till then, happy baking!
- ½ cup ghee
- ½ cup jaggery powder/ coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Sea salt to top
- In a medium size bowl, add in ghee and jaggery powder. Mix this really well till the mixture becomes slightly light and fluffy.
- Add in good quality vanilla extract and combine all three things together.
- To the same bowl, add in all the dry ingredients. This includes whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and corn flour. Mix this well and your cookie dough will reach a coarse consistency.
- To this, add in the milk and bring everything together.
- Once the cookie dough ready, let it rest in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- While the cookie dough is resting, pre heat your oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Once rested, use a medium sized ice cream scoop to out even sized portions of cookie dough and place them on a baking sheet on your baking tray.
- Flatten the dough balls a little and top them with chocolate chips.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes. Once the cookies are out of the oven, sprinkle some sea salt on top and let them cool completely.