In a world filled with hustle and bustle, there’s something truly magical about the simple pleasure of cracking open a fortune cookie and discovering a message that feels tailor-made for you. Whether it’s a word of encouragement, a playful prediction, or a nugget of wisdom, each fortune carries the potential to uplift spirits and ignite dreams.
But why settle for store-bought fortune cookies when you can create your own at home, infused with love, creativity, and a dash of whimsy? With a handful of simple ingredients and a touch of imagination, you can transform your kitchen into a fortune cookie factory, crafting batches of these delightful treats that are as unique as the people who will enjoy them.
But more than just a delicious treat, homemade fortune cookies are a symbol of connection, communication, and celebration. Whether shared at a special gathering, tucked into lunchboxes as a surprise, or given as a thoughtful gift, these handmade treasures have a way of bringing people together and spreading joy wherever they go.
INGREDIENTS USED IN FORTUNE COOKIES
All-purpose flour serves as the primary dry ingredient in fortune cookie batter, forming the structural backbone of the cookies. Its protein content creates the necessary gluten network when combined with liquid ingredients, giving the cookies their characteristic chewy texture. It acts as a binder, helping to hold the other ingredients together and create a cohesive dough. This ensures that the batter spreads evenly on the baking sheet and maintains its shape during baking.
Sugar is a key ingredient in fortune cookies, providing the characteristic sweetness that balances the flavours of the cookie batter. It contributes to the texture of fortune cookies, helping to create a crisp and crunchy exterior while maintaining a slightly chewy interior. During baking, sugar caramelizes, adding to the golden-brown colour and crispness of the cookies.
Egg whites act as a binding agent, helping to hold the ingredients together and create a cohesive batter. They provide the necessary moisture to bring the dry ingredients together, forming a smooth and pliable batter. They help the cookies spread evenly on the baking sheet and hold their iconic flat, circular shape as they bake. Egg whites give fortune cookies a shiny, glossy finish when baked, adding to their visual appeal.
Water is added to the batter to achieve the desired consistency. It helps to thin out the batter, making it easier to spread thinly and evenly on the baking sheet. It helps prevent the cookies from becoming too dry or brittle during the baking process.
EQUIPMENTS USED FOR MAKING FORTUNE COOKIES
The kind of equipment you use can hugely impact the final product. So, make sure to always use the best of the equipment that is available.
I used a tablespoon to use a measure of equal portions of the cookies. A small spatula comes in handy when you’re picking up the baked flat cookie. I used a cup to shape the fortune cookies but you can use a glass as well.
Finally, I baked these delicious Fortune Cookies in my Borosil 60L oven.
OTHER RELATED RECIPES FROM THE BLOG
TIPS TO MAKE FORTUNE COOKIES
- Write or print your fortunes on small strips of paper before you start baking. This way, they’ll be ready to insert into the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Fortune cookie batter can be sticky, so it’s essential to use a non-stick surface like a silicone baking mat or parchment paper on your baking sheets to prevent the cookies from sticking.
- Bake only 2 cookies at a time because they harden very quickly.
- Have your tools ready, including a spatula and a muffin tin (or similar tool for shaping), so you can work efficiently.
- Aim for circles about 3-4 inches (7.5-10 cm) in diameter.
- The cookies will be very hot when they come out of the oven, so be sure to use caution when handling them. You may want to use oven mitts or silicone gloves to protect your hands.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavorings, such as almond extract or citrus zest, to add a unique twist to your cookies.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- Fortune cookie messages
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Take 2 egg whites and vanilla in a clean bowl and whisk them using a hand whisk or an electric beater. Whisk only till it becomes frothy.
- Sift the flour and sugar to the egg whites and fold in to form a smooth paste.
- Add the water and form a thin and runny batter. Add more water if required.
- Line a baking tray with silicon mat. Take a tablespoon of the batter and spread it out on the silicon mat to make a circle that it 3 inches in diameter. Make only 2 of these cookies at a time.
- Bake them for about 8 minutes till the edges become brown.
- Carefully take the baking tray out and place the message slip on the centre.
- Quickly fold the flat cookie into half, and holding both the edges, remove it from the silicon mat and fold it from the centre with the help of a cup or glass. (As shown in the video). Be careful as the cookies will be hot but will only fold while still soft.
- Let the fortune cookies cool and harden before cracking them open.
If you like my Fortune Cookies recipe and happen to make them in your kitchen, do tag me on Instagram and share pictures with me using #Bakewithshivesh. Happy Baking!