We’re at the peak of monsoon already and even though this year has just occurred what literally feels like a second, we all know that this Delhi summer tested the best of us. Frankly, I am really glad it has ended and gladder because desserts like this very Stone Fruit Cake will make you guys absolutely love the weather we’re in right now!
I have time and again reiterated that I am more of a fruit-in-dessert kind of a person. And, so, this summer I created some of the best summer-desserts- including this Stone Fruit Cake. It has peaches and plums and a cake so fluffy, almost feels like cotton candy, haha!
If you bake this stone fruit cake, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and use the hashtag- #bakewithshivesh.
Tips on baking with fruits
Again, I love my fruits and I love my fruity desserts- exactly like this stone fruit cake. But, there are some very basic tips that one should remember about cooking or baking with fruits and they are as follows:
- Please remember to always wash your fruits. There are a plethora of new germs in the market and you wouldn’t want those in your body- trust me. Always thoroughly rinse your fruits and your berries as well!
- While baking with fruits, make it a point to read up the recipe properly. Some fruits are easier to deal with while some aren’t and obviously, some are required to be incorporated in a specific way. Most recipes will guide you on how you should go about using your fruits. It is my advice to never take recipes casually.
- Be aware of how cooking processes will affect your fruit. For example, the Vitamin C in your lemons is destroyed on heating, and so on.
Tips on baking the perfect Stone fruit cake
- Whenever you combine your oil and sugar, make sure that you do not over-whisk the mixture. It only requires you to whisk it a couple of times and that is it.
- All your ingredients should be at room temperature unless otherwise mentioned. This includes your eggs and flour as well. Cold ingredients do not have the ability to mix well and warm ingredients mix too well and disturb your balances.
- To make this stone fruit cake come out absolutely pretty, ensure that you’re cutting your plums and peaches in a nice and tidy manner. Also, ensure to not allow their colored juices to fall onto the cake.
- You can always add more milk- teaspoon by teaspoon- if your batter seems too thick for the cake batter.
- Do not over-bake this gorgeous stone fruit cake or your fruits will gain a dark color which will render the cake inedible.
Stone Fruit Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 4 eggs or 2 cups yogurt
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 2 large peaches sliced
- 4 plums sliced
- Pre- heat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease a 9′′ round tart pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and orange zest.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugar until light and pale. With mixer on low, beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Alternately, beat in flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the tin and layer the peach and plum slices on top .
- Bake at 180C until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. It should take about 30-32 minutes.