I had a lot of plums sitting in my fridge. I had already made a plum sauce with a big batch earlier this week and decided to put these in a cake. While plums are usually combined with dried-fruits and chocolatey flavours, leading to that semi-bitter taste, I wanted to experiment with a combination of plums and custard. I made a basic cake batter, added some cinnamon powder, some custard powder and a whole lot of sliced plums. The moment I opened the oven to take a peak, my kitchen was filled with it’s intoxicating and delicious aroma! Go on and try this recipe for yourselves to experience the bliss!
- 1 + 1/2 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 table spoons custard powder
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 7-8 plums, sliced
- Prepare a 9″ cake tin by brushing it with butter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon powder and custard powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and beat well.
- Combine both dry and wet ingredients and mix only until well combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be very thick.
- Trasfer the batter to the cake tin. Place the plum slices on top.
- Bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Leave a Reply