I know we are all in lockdown. We really don’t have the liberty to go out and get our favourite desserts. And I know we don’t have enough produce at home or extra grocery. As a matter of fact, some of us don’t even have the option of going out to buy groceries. I hear you all, and bring to you my 5 ingredients Parle-G cake. It is without without eggs, butter, flour, condensed milk and without an oven too. Did I already mention how amazingly moist this cake is?
This Parle-G cake is your quarantine dream come true. Trust me when I say this. This Parle-G cake is such an easy recipe with a minimal amount of ingredients. I made this in a pressure cooker which gave it its super delicate texture and a lovely crumb.
Also, Parle-G reminds me so much of my childhood, I hope when you replicate this Parle-G cake, recipe it takes you back in time. I hope it helps you rejoice in your childhood memories. Make this into a family event of baking and devouring this beautiful creation! We know we all need some fun, bonding activities for ourselves and our families. I think baking is the ideal activity. Plus, baking this ultra-soft and easy Parle-G cake is even better!
Ingredients for this Parle-G Cake
1. I have used the regular Parle-G biscuits for this Parle-G cake. However, understanding the current situation, any glucose biscuits will give you the same result. Some other brands that I can think of are- Tiger and Sunfeast!
2. Personally, I always lean towards using caster sugar in my baking, as the granules are much smaller and they aid in a better texture. I use brands like Trust and Solar.
3. Baking powder is from the brand Weikfield. It really is the best seller.
4. I have also used walnuts in this recipe, which is completely optional. I love the crunch it adds to the cake. This can be avoided altogether or can be replaced by almonds if that is what you have on hand. Or, you can completely rule out nuts and still enjoy this delicious Parle-G cake.
How to make this Parle-G cake Vegan
The Parle-G Substitute
Parle-G itself is not vegan as it contains skim milk powder. Few vegan brands that I know of are Oreo, Parle Hide ‘N’ Seek and Marie.
Next up we tackle the milk used in this Parle-G cake. I have used cow’s milk here because that is readily available to me. However non-dairy milk like almond or soy would also work really well here. ‘Silk’, ‘Almond Breeze’, ‘Sofit’ and ‘So Good Almond fresh’ are some of the brands I like. And using an unsweetened version here is likely suggested because you don’t want unnecessary flavors in your Parle-G Cake. But, if you don’t have any vanilla on hand get vanilla flavoured milk! That’s like killing two birds with one stone. Haha!
Pointers for cooking this Parle-G cake in a pressure cooker
Unlike the traditional recipes, I did NOT use water in my pressure cooker. I picked a pressure cooker that was big enough to fit my cake mould in. To preheat the pressure cooker- I placed a wire rack on the base of the pressure cooker, closed the lid without the whistle and set it on a medium heat for about 10 minutes! And my work was done.
Making this Parle-G cake in microwave
Just like most of my recipes, this cake is versatile enough to bake in an oven and a microwave. For the oven, I would recommend baking it at 180 C for 25-35 minutes.
But, for a microwave bake it at 180C in the convection mode for about 25 minutes.
- 300 grams biscuits
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts(optional)
- Preheat the cooker for 10 minutes without the whistle on a medium flame.
- Roughly break the biscuits and add it to the food processor along with the sugar.blitz
- until there are no chunks remaining and it's a homogenized fine mixture.
- Transfer the biscuit mixture to a glass bowl, add in the baking powder and mix well
- To the bowl now add the milk and the vanilla. Mix until everything is well combined
- and the batter looks nice and smooth.
- Add the walnuts now and fold in gently.
- Generously grease the 4’ inch baking pan with oil or butter. Line it with a parchment
- paper or dust it with flour.
- Transfer the batter in the pan and carefully place this pan in the cooker on top of the
- wire rack. Close the cooker and cook the cake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer
- inserted comes out clean.
- Once done cooking, carefully remove the cake and let it cool completely before