Last month I announced my association with SPRIG, and shared the recipe of mango-cardamom cupcakes with you. This month’s recipe is lemon poppy seed crepes, which are super easy and fun to make. Don’t forget to watch the recipe video on my Instagram.
These lemon poppy seed crepes are flavored with some fresh lemon zest and SPRIG extract of natural bourbon vanilla. The Indian markets are flooded with poor quality synthetic vanilla essences. Since they’re so widely available and so cheap, they’ve become the popular choice. That is so unfortunate because using a good quality vanilla extract can completely change the dessert and it’s flavor. You need to make the switch to experience the change.
Another controversial product in the baking world is food color. I do not support using synthetic colors in food. They’re harmful and completely pointless. SPRIG’s range of natural colors is a blessing! I use the marigold yellow in these crepes to make them brighter. Since it’s a completely natural color, it’s not something I need to stress about.
The poppy seeds add a very interesting texture to the crepes. If you can’t get your hands on poppy seeds, you can also use chia seeds. I top these beautiful crepes with whipped cream and fresh berries. You can either drizzle them with maple syrup or SPRIG ginger embued honey that also goes into the recipe. This recipes makes about 12 small crepes. Enjoy!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1+ 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon SPRIG natural bourbon vanilla
- 2 drops marigold yellow color
- 2 tablespoons SPRIG ginger embued honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- whipped cream and fresh berries, to garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and lemon zest.
- Make a well in middle of the dry ingredients and add eggs and milk. Mix well.
- Add vanilla, natural yellow color and honey. Beat until everything is well incorporated.
- Beat in the butter. Add poppy seeds. Let the batter rest in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- Lightly brush a pan/ skillet set over medium heat with vegetable oil/ butter.
- Once the pan is hot, pout 1/4 cup of crepe batter on the pan. Swirl it to spread the batter all the way to the edges of the pan.
- Let the crepe cook for 1-2 minutes and then flip to cook the other side. Once both the sides are golden-brown, serve the crepes with whipped cream and fresh berries.