If I had to pick one ingredient that I could bake with everyday, it’d be strawberries. They’re so beautiful as it is but once they’re baked in a dessert, I feel they get even better. I love the tartness berries bring to a dessert and of course the pop of color. I’ve made so many desserts using strawberries but this strawberry cream cake continues to be my favorite.
I remember this strawberry cream cake was one of the first recipes I posted on my blog- right after I started. There is something so pleasing about it’s simplicity. A basic sponge with strawberries, topped with a wonderful vanilla flavored cream whipped to perfection and fresh slices sitting on top- that’s my idea of a comforting dessert.
Besides this strawberry cream cake, some other favorite strawberry desserts from the blog are-
- lemon-strawberry cake
- strawberry granita
- strawberry jam thumbprint cookies
- strawberry jam baked donuts
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 10-15 strawberries, thinly sliced
FOR THE CHANTILLY CREAM-
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- seeds from one vanilla pod
Fresh strawberries, to top
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Line an 8″ round cake pan with parchment paper
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cardamon powder and salt
- In a separate bowl, beat vegetable oil and castor sugar. Beat in the vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition. Mix in the milk.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix only unil well combined. Fold in the sliced strawberries
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake at 180C for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- To make the chantilly, beat the whipping cream with vanilla on high speed.
- Add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, with the mixer running.
- Keep beating until the cream gains volume and forms firm peaks.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, top with with chantilly and fresh strawberries.