This eggless lemon cake recipe is very special. It is an old recipe that I had posted on my blog when it was hosted on blogspot. When I moved to word press, I lost that recipe somewhere and it never made it to the new website. A lot of you who had made the the eggless lemon cake asked for the recipe again but the sad truth was that I had never written down the recipe anywhere besides the blog. I thought the recipe was lost forever.
Last month, when I was in Dubai, I met a few of my readers for dinner. One of them happened to mention that the eggless lemon cake recipe from my blog is her favorite and how she has it written down in her diary because she makes it so often. That is how I found this recipe back and that is what makes it so special. I’m so glad I’m able to share it here again for those who’ve made it earlier and liked it and also for those who’d want to give it a shot.
I’m happy to report that the eggless recipe challenge is going great and this is day 2! Happy Baking 🙂
- 1 +1/2 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 + 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk + 1 tsp white vinegar, rested for 5 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Line a 9″ cake pan with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and lemon zest
- In a separate bowl, beat vegetable oil and sugar.
- Beat in the Greek yogurt, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three batches, alternating with milk. Use a spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake at 180C for 35-40 minutes.
cream cheese frosting recipe HERE.