March has been great so far. If you follow me on Instagram, you must have been seeing all the pictures I’ve been sharing from my new studio. It actually used to be a small room on my terrace where we used to dump everything. I started shooting there in December’17 because of the beautiful light it gets but it was in a complete mess. I decided to get it re-done and turn it into a space where I can have fun shooting. I got rid of all the unnecessary things in the room, got it re-painted, got a prop shelf made, had an air conditioner installed and also got to tables made. I think it looks great there and this caramel pecan tart is the first dessert I shot in my new studio space. So exciting!
I’m going to be traveling most of April- I’m going to be in Taiwan from 17th-24th of April and then to Bali from 25th for six days. Since I’ll not be baking too much next month, I’m going to make up for it in March by sharing as many recipes as I can this month. Since a lot of my readers have been requesting for eggless recipes, I decided to create a 10 day, 10 eggless recipes challenge. I’ll be sharing 10 eggless recipes in the next 10 days. I hope I’m able to pull this off haha.
This caramel pecan tart is a family favorite- we all love it at home. The tart shell, that I made with oats this time, is nice and crunchy but my favorite part has to be the gooey caramel with pecan nuts. If you don’t have pecans on hand, you can use any nuts that you like- almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts or even cashew nuts!
- 1/2 cup butter (113 grams/ 8 tbsp)
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, cold
- 1 cup pecans
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Mix in flour and oats and beat until the dough begins to come together.
- Knead the dough and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes or until the dough is firm.
- Roll out the dough and line a 9″ tart pan with the rolled out dough. Chill in the freezer for another 15 minutes. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Use a fork to prick the chilled tart shell and bake at 180C for 10 minutes until the tart shell is golden-brown.
- To make the filling, cook sugar and water in a saucepan set over medium heat until it turns into an amber color.
- Bring it off-heat and immediately add the cream. The mixture will bubble vigorously, so be careful.
- Mix in the butter while the caramel is still hot.
- Pour the caramel into the tart shell. Arrange the pecans on top.
- Bake the tart for another 15 minutes.