To be very honest, the pictures of this cherry cake do not do enough justice to how delicious and out of the world this cake actually tastes!
Cherries are one of my favorite fruits and I love the color they lend to cakes. I have already made this cherry cake thrice this season and still can’t get enough of it. This recipe of cherry cake reeks of soul satisfaction and it is something I associate with guiltless eating (or maybe that is just me, haha). It’s perfect to have with a warm cup of coffee or hot chocolate on a nice rainy day, and that is why I’m posting this recipe just when monsoons are right around the corner!
Perfect to welcome any kind of guests because of just how pretty the cherry cake looks with the warm redness of the cherries and the whiteness of the cake, this cake turns out best when made with fresh cherries!
Ingredients of the traditional cherry cake recipe
This is a traditional and fresh cherry cake recipe from scratch. Most noteworthy are the flavors which are beautiful and the essence of cherries is unforgiving and absolutely lovely. Similarly, the lemon zest also provides a subtle balance to the overall taste of the cake.
If you’d like to make a bigger cake or similarly, you want to go with a two-tiered cake, you can just double the ingredients. Furthermore, to make your own buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1/4th cup milk and let the mixture rest for 5 minutes. Above all, with the lemon zest, please do not over-grate. Grate only until the yellow part as the white part is bitter, and it will consequently lead to an unpleasant taste.
Tips to remember when baking with fresh fruits
- When using big fruits like apples or mangoes, remember to cut them in uniform sizes.
- Fruits with seeds need to be de-seeded properly. This cherry cake also requires the cherries to be de-seeded appropriately. Seeds also render a bitter taste to cakes.
- Juicy fruits make your cake mixtures thinner. Hence, one should always be careful around them.
More Cherry Recipes
If you love the cherry fruit and want to make more cherry infused recipes like this very cherry cake, you can click on the following recipes. I also have a lot of delicious recipes curated just for you guys in my new book- Bake with Shivesh. You can grab your copy here!
Moist Cherry Cake Recipe
- 1 cus all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup sugar + 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- Pre- heat the oven to 180C. Oil the cake tin and dust it with all purpose flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs one at a time
- Add vanilla and mix well
- Alternately, beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined
- Pour the batter into the tin and place the cherries on the top. Sprinkle 2tbsp of sugar on the top.
- Bake at 180C for 10 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 150C and bake for 50 minutes. until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
I was thinking to make the cherry cake but I don’t eat eggs. So can you please tell me if I can use curd or something to replace eggs in recipe .