I have a very simple and delicious dessert for all you salted caramel lovers- salted caramel bars! These are basically easy to whip up shortbread bars that are topped with salted caramel and walnuts.
The base of these bars is very simple to make. It only calls for some basic ingredients like flour, butter, egg and sugar. I use Demerara sugar infused with cinnamon from SPRIG. It gives these bars a beautiful warm flavor that goes really well with the salted caramel. The salted caramel topping is literally just out of a jar. The SPRIG classic salted caramel is all sorts of delicious. It is thick and the texture is beautiful.
SALTED CARAMEL BARS
Recipe type: bars
- 1 cup (120g) flour
- ¼ cup (50g) cinnamon infused brown sugar
- ½ cup (113g) butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups (450g) salted caramel
- ½ cup (63g) crushed walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 180*C.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- Add the better. Beat in the egg yolk until the dough begins to come together.
- In a rectangular pan ( 9X14") lined with parchment paper, spread the dough in an even layer.
- Bake at 180*C for 20 minutes or until it is golden-brown.
- Once the base has cooled completely, spread a generous layer of salted caramel on top. Top with crushed walnuts.
- Let it set in the fridge for 30 minutes before you slice the bars.
Julia Metzger says
This recipe is looking delicious. Can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks!