I leave for London & Scotland in 4 days and I’m really excited about 10 days of only having fun. But these 4 days are cramped with work. I’m trying to schedule as much work as possible so that I don’t feel guilty about the ten day break that awaits me. The next 4 days are packed with meetings, video shoots and a lot of baking. I made these oat-apple crumble bars because I wanted to eat something dessert-y for breakfast. They’re made with whole-wheat, oats and not sugar. It also has fruit so basically makes for a great sweet breakfast option. I, off course, beat the purpose by topping these healthy oat apple crumble bars with caramel sauce and vanilla ice-cream.
Oh and did I mention that these oat apple crumble bars are also egg less?
Eggless Oat Apple Crumble Bars Ingredients-
These oat apple crumble bars can be made easily using ingredients already available in your pantry. You wouldn’t need to rush out to the supermarket since simple ingredients like flour butter and honey are always handy. I’ve also tried to keep this recipe relatively healthy by using whole wheat flour and oat flour. I have also used honey instead of refined sugar for this recipe. You could use either honey or maple syrup! The best part about this recipe is the fact that it is eggless, so all of you can try it! Although if you’re not particularly looking for something healthy, why don’t you try the Eggless chocolate-chip cookie bars?
How to make oat apple crumble bars-
These oat apple crumble bars have three layers. The bottom layer is of a honey flavoured wheat flour and oat flour dough. The middle layer is the apple filling. Apple and cinnamon is a match made in heaven! I use cinnamon powder and ginger powder to flavour the filling, which is cubed apples cooked in butter. Make sure you don’t cook the filling on the stove too much as it will continue to cook inside the oven. The top layer is of a crumble made of the same dough as the bottom layer.
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ cup honey/ maple syrup
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored and cubed
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Line a 9X13 rectangular tin with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk whole wheat flour and oat flour.
- Add honey and mix well.
- Use your fingers to incorporate cold butter into the flour. Mix until it comes together when pinched. Divide the dough into 2 parts.
- Press one half of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Use your fingers or bottom of a glass to press it down properly.
- Bake at 180C for 10-12 minutes until the edges become golden brown.
- To make the apple filling, cook all the ingredients in a saucepan set over medium heat until the apples begin to breakdown. The filling should not be runny.
- Spread the filling on the baked dough in an even layer.
- Crumble the second half of the dough and sprinkle it on the apple filling.
- Bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes until the crumble topping is golden brown.
- Let the bars cool completely before slicing them.
Hi! Is it possible to make this entirely with oat flour? I need to make a gluten free version of this.