Summer is all about refreshing citrus flavors and bright summery desserts like this orange chia seed cake. It is a very very simple recipe and the result is absolutely amazing. Fresh orange zest and orange juice make this cake flavorful and the addition of chia seeds add bite and texture to this orange chia seed cake. I made the cake in a loaf pan but you can also make it in a regular circular cake pan or in mini cake pans.
This orange chia seed cake is perfect for tea time. I top the cake with my favorite cream cheese frosting ( you can find the recipe HERE) and some lavender, which add floral notes to the dessert. I’m also uploading a small fun video for this recipe on my Instagram. Please do watch it and let me know what you think.
- 1 + ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- zest of one large orange
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Line an 9” by 4” loaf pan with parchment paper
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, beat vegetable oil and sugar together. Add orange zest.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
- In three batches, gently fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients alternating with orange juice . Make sure to not over-mix the batter.
- Fold in the chia seeds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.