This beautiful cake has 4 layers of Vanilla Poppyseed Cake filled with raspberry filling and covered with meringue frosting. It is decorated with blanched almonds, meringue kisses, and white chocolate barks and not only does it look this gorgeous, but it also tastes equally heavenly!
This Vanilla Poppyseed Cake is basically everything you want in a season like Autumn. Do NOT ignore the contribution of poppy-seeds in any recipe. They tend to grant any dessert with a nutty feeling that only they can sufficiently deliver and trust me, there is no better substitute. It also gives the cake a beautiful speckled look which make the cake really stand out.
This Vanilla Poppyseed Cake is really easy and I am sure you guys will love it if you give it a try!
FOR THE CAKE-
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsps baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
FOR RASPBERRY FILLING
- 250g frozen raspberries
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
FOR THE MERINGUE FROSTING and MERINGUE KISSES
- 4 ggg whites
- 2 cups castor sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
FOR WHITE CHOCOLATE BARKS
- 1 cup white cooking chocolate
- red food colouring
- wheat flakes
- frozen raspberry bits
- Pre- heat the oven to 170 degrees. Oil the tins using a pastry brush and dust the tins with all purpose flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs one at a time
- Beat in the vanilla
- Alternately, beat in flour mixture and buttermilk beginning and ending with flour mixture. Carefully fold in the flour mixture. Do not over mix
- Divide the batter between two tins of the same size. Smooth top using a spatula. Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. It should take about 30-32 minutes. Let the cakes cool completely
- In a small sauce pan, combined all of the ingredients and slowly bring to a boil over medium-high heat Keep stirring until thickened
- Let cool completely before spreading onto cake.
- Place egg whites, sugar and cold water in a large heat-proof bowl. whisk to combine
- place the bowl over saucepan of simmering water, creating a double boiler
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg white mixture for 15 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the bowl from heat. Beat until cooled
- After the frosting has cooled completely, add red food colouring to 1/4th of the frosting
- Put it in a piping bag and pipe your meringues of a baking tray lined with baking sheet
- Bake for 5 minutes in a 100C oven
- Let them rest in the oven for 15 minutesWHITE CHOCOLATE BARKS-
- Melt chocolate on a double boiler.
- While the chocolate is still hot, pour it on a tray lined with parchment paper
- Make red swirls using a toothpick dipped in red food colouring
- Sprinkle with wheat flakes and frozen raspberry bits
- Let it cool in the fridge.
- After the cakes have cooled completely, divide each layer into two so that you have four layers
- Fill each layer with your cooled raspberry filling
- After frosting your cake, decorate with meringue kisses and white chocolate barks