Diwali is getting all of us really excited and I know a lot of you are looking for desserts to make for the celebration. A lot of you have also messaged me asking for some healthy options. So here it is! These oat-maple energy balls are perfect for a healthy Diwali.
They’re healthy, gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar free. My favorite ingredient here is the pure maple syrup. It allows me to replace-nutritionally empty- refined sugar with an alternative that’s filled with antioxidants and vitamins! In fact, maple syrup could be a direct healthier substitute to refined sugar for your traditional mithais. I loved how in this recipe, maple syrup was able to bind everything together and impart its own unique flavor that complimented the other ingredients so well.
They’re also great for gifting. As I always say- edible home-made gifts are the best. I make these energy balls using oats, almond flour, peanut butter and coconut. The best part, however, is the fact that these look exactly like besan laddoos haha. Some almond and rose petals on top is all you need to get these oat energy balls ready for Diwali. Feel free to play around with the recipe and add anything you like- chia seeds or dried cranberries would be a great idea.
This recipe makes 12 small energy balls
- 1 cup traditional oats
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- almonds and rose petals, to garnish
- In a food processor, process oats and almonds until it reaches a flour-like consistency.
- Combine the oat flour, almond flour, peanut butter, coconut and maple syrup.
- Mix everything really well until it begins to come together like a dough.
- Roll up the dough into small balls of the same size. Rest them in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Garnish with almonds and rose petals.