It’s a Sunday and Sundays are meant for baking! As promised, I’ll be bring to you one recipe an video every month in association with one of my favourite brands- SPRIG. We made lemon-poppyseed crepes in June and mango-cardamom cupcakes in May. This month’s recipe is this wonderful and easy to make walnut cake with dulce de leche frosting.
- 1/2 cup (120mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (100g) castor sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) cinnamon infused Demerara sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon (3mL) bourbon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (8g) baking powder
- 1/4 cup (60mL) whole milk
- 1/2 cup (63g) walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (120mL) whipped cream
- 1/2 cup (113g) dulce de leche spread
- 10-15 pretzels, to decorate
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Brush a 9” cake pan with melted butter.
- In a large bowl, combine oil and both the sugars.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Mix in the bourbon vanilla extract.
- Add all purpose flour and baking powder in two additions, alternating with milk. Combine only until we’ll-combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the walnuts.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake at 180C for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- To make the frosting, fold the dulce de leche in the whipped cream.
- Once the walnut cake has cooled, cover generously with the frosting and decorate with pretzels