You guys clearly love chocolate desserts- all the popular recipes on the blog are chocolaty be it the back to basics chocolate cake or the fudgy brownies. Among the healthier recipes on the blog, so many of you have made the vegan gluten free chocolate tart , which makes me so happy. Oddly enough, I had never shared a classic chocolate tart recipe here. This chocolate tart with caramelized hazelnuts is indulgent, super chocolaty, rich and perfect for a special occasion. Oh and this chocolate tart is eggless!
The tart shell of this chocolate tart with caramelized hazelnuts is flaky and buttery. The chocolate ganache filing, which is incredibly easy to make is smooth and really the star of this dessert. To take the classic chocolate tart a level higher, I top it with caramelized hazelnuts which don’t only look very pretty but also adds a great texture.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (113 grams/ 8 tbsp)
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- 1/4 cup ground hazelnuts ( or another 1/4 cup all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup 70% dark cooking chocolate
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted
- To make the base of the tart, In a bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Mix in flour and ground hazelnuts and beat until the dough begins to come together.
- Knead the dough. Wrap it with plastic wrap and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes or until the dough is firm.
- Roll out the dough and line the tart pan with the rolled out dough. Chill in the freezer for another 15 minutes. Pre-heat the oven to 190C
- Prick with a fork and bake at 190C for 15 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- To make the filling, cook the cream in a saucepan set over medium heat. Bring the cream to a boil. Immediately pour the hot cream on the roughly chopped chocolate. Mix until the chocolate melts completely and the ganache is smooth and lump free
- Fill the ganache into the cooled tart shell
- To make the caramelized hazelnuts, cook the granulated sugar in a saucepan set over medium heat until it is a light amber colour. Add hazelnuts to the hot sugar and stir to make sure all the hazelnuts are evenly coated. Immediately transfer the mixture into a baking tray and let it cool completely. It will harden as it cools. Break the hazelnuts roughly and arrange on the chocolate tart.