I get e-mails and messages from new and aspiring bloggers everyday who are struggling to grow their blogs. It’s not an easy task but its not impossible either. To help you strengthen your food blogs, I’m proud to present to you- 100 tips to grow your blog. These tips have been collected from some of my favorite food bloggers from across the world. They’ve been around in the food blogging industry for a while and are doing some great work. I look up to them for their dedication, passion and engaging content and trust me-they’re the best help you can get to help you grow your blogs!
I’m publishing these 100 tips to grow your blog in two parts. Read part 2 HERE.
A big thanks to the 25 fantastic food bloggers who gave their insightful inputs for this part of the blog. Read on-
1. As a food blogger it is essential that you learn about food photography. Practice as often as you can. Get a book on food photography, study your food blogger heroes or attend a workshop. People eat with their eyes so the visual have to be right!
2. Find you niche and own it. If your blog is too generic it will be harder for you to be known and noticed. Focus on one type of cuisine, type of food or style of cooking and be creative with it.
5. Consistency and quality. So posting as many times a week as possible, but post high quality content that’s unique, that’s yours. For example: Coming from Slovenia and growing our own food we try to combine those two together and truly show our own twist on dishes that are cooked in our family or that we bring home from travels.
6. Language. We speak Slovenian, but that’s a language only 2 million people speak so we put a lot of time and effort into learning new languages like English, Spanish, German, so we can connect with people around the world as well.
7. Make your photos stand out!
If your photos are good and make the food look good then people will want to cook your recipes. And if you have a certain style of photography it will make your pictures recognisable to people, often people say the can tell it is my photo with out even reading the caption on Instagram/Pinterest which I have found helps. Also if it’s a great shot people are more likely to click on it or even pin it on Pinterest which will drive more traffic to your site.
8. Make sure to keep updating your blog with new content, even if it is once a week or every two weeks (I am guilty of not doing this recently) but think about upcoming events/ seasons and post in time for that as people are always Looking for ideas for different holidays . I have a calendar of special days that I can create recipes for, not just the holiday but national pasta day etc. If you don’t have time to keep your blog with new content then repost old recipes on Instagram, Facebook.
15. Create great content that is original and also present it in your own unique style .
16. Build loyal audience for your blog by being consistent in posting and try to connect with them .
17. Focus on SEO
Install Yoast plugin and follow its guide, read and learn SEO related articles from an early stage, and do your keyword research before naming your blog post title. It’s the most important thing to learn to grow your traffic fast, way more important than social media.
18. Find a filter for your photos and stick to it
I highly recommend using a filter as a food blogger, because it gives your image a consistent color and feel, which send a strong branding message. Plus it speeds up the editing process a lot and make your photos look stylish effortless.
19. Be Authentic
Stay true to the content you post and yourself. It is ok to do sponsored posts as long as you are honest. People love authenticity and that’s what differentiate yourself from other accounts/blogs. To stand out from the sea of blogs out there, it is very important to make sure you are posting original and quality content.
20. Make yourself accessible and interact with your followers!
Try to be responsive to DMs and comments as much as you can. Building this relationship with your followers or site visitors is extremely crucial in terms of having a loyal following and getting that initial following base. People go to you because they think you are the expert in what you do or they enjoy the things you post.
21. CONSISTENCY: This is the key to growing any social media account. When I started my blog, I was very consistent for the first 4 years in sharing at least 2 posts a week and my blog had amazing traffic. Then, I got pregnant and things slowed down for the next 2 years. In the process, I lost a lot of my followers and my rank also dropped. For the past 1 year, I started again in full form and am seeing growth in my traffic flow. So, be consistent and share at least once or twice a week, even if it’s a small post with just a couple photos and a small write up.
22. SEO: I use Yoast SEO plugin in my blog. It is very easy to use and it is extremely helpful to make your post appear in search engine. You need to remember to name your photos as the name of the subject of the post. Just don’t just leave it as a random 123 number. Also, use the correct keywords as this is extremely important for SEO. If possible, provide internal and external links to all your posts. Make your posts easy to read and easy to understand.
23. Be focused from day one and put the most amount of effort in doing the SEO right.
24. If you want to make blogging into a paying carrier, you will have to take it seriously and will have to invest as much time and devotion (May be even more) as you would have given in any other job.
25. Quality content- It is the most important thing because that give readers a great reason to subscribe every time when you publish.
26. Promoting blog- Be active in social communities, groups, forums etc…so you can easily promote your blog content with members, to grow your blog.
27. Be true to yourself and true and authentic to your followers. It’s fundamental for a long term relationship.
28. Be interested in other accounts and build up little community. People, you support and inspire and who inspire and support you in return. It’s all about giving and getting back.
43. Follow you heart when it comes to recipes, always post food that you really enjoy..not trendy ones.Be authentic
44. Always reply to people’s comments on your posts in a nice way.Interacting with your followers is really important to build a connection with them.