I have been making this chocolate cake for years now. It is probably the first cake I made and it is still my favourite. It is a chocolate cake after all! If you like chocolate (off course you do), you must make this cake. Warning- it is so good and so easy to make that you’ll make it all the time.
I usually like to cover this cake with chocolate or vanilla frosting but this time I decided to make chocolate ganache with it. This chocolate cake with chocolate ganache is a chocolate lover’s delight.
Here are a few notes before you get started-
- If you don’t have butter milk, substitute it with a mixture of 3/4 cup milk and 1 tsp white vinegar. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes before you add it to the batter
- For the ganache, I used fresh cream by Amul which is easily available in all grocery shops across India
- I used milk chocolate in the ganache. You can use dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter milk
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup cooking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- 1tsp corn starch or custard powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C. Oil a 9″ circular cake tin. Dust the with cocoa, tap out extra
- Whisk cocoa, flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl
- In a large bowl, cream oil and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix well after each addition
- Beat in vanilla using mixer at low
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with butter milk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Beat until smooth
- Pour the batter into pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean
- On a double boiler with flame on medium low,cook cream and chocolate until the chocolate melts
- Add corn starch/ custard powder and whisk continuously until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and pour on the cake