I love fresh flavors in a cake and that is why I decided to incorporate the lushness of orange zest in the frosting that I have given to this absolutely mouth-watering strawberry cake!
I have already exclaimed my love for strawberries and how I would whip them up with something every day given the option to do so. I love how beautiful the fruit is, both taste wise and by appearance, and they elevate any desserts to another level, exactly how you can see in this strawberry cake.
The frosting to this strawberry cake is an orange cream cheese frosting which is the easiest frosting that one can go with! You can also incorporate the zest of other fruits as per your liking!
If you are looking for a simple version of the strawberry cake, you can definitely try the strawberry and cream cake!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 4 eggs or 2 cups yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced.
- Pre- heat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease a 9″ round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugar until light and pale. With mixer on low, beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Alternately, beat in flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Pour half the batter into the tin and add half cup of strawberries.Add the other half of the batter followed by adding the other half of sliced strawberries
- Smooth top using a spatula. Bake at 180C until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. It should take about 30-32 minutes.
ORANGE CREAM-CHEESE FROSTING-
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1.5 cups icing sugar, sifted
- zest of one large orange
- Cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add icing sugar, half cup at a time, mixing well after each edition. Mix in the orange zest.
- Cover the cooled strawberry cake with the frosting using an off-set spatula and decorate with fresh strawberries
Mrunmayee Salia says
Hello, where can we find or how can we make lemon zest or orange zest?