This utterly beautiful and delicious strawberry and cranberry cake is just another splendid addition to all the berry desserts on the blog.
This strawberry and cranberry cake is loaded with sweet cranberries and lush strawberries at each bite and trust me, after the first slice you will not be able to control your urge to just cut another slice and gobble it down.
Not only is this strawberry and cranberry cake perfect fit for most of your occasions, but it is also no less than perfect for your Christmas table!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk*
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced.
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- Pre- heat the oven to 180 degrees. Brush a 9″ tart tin with melted butter using a pastry brush.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugar until the mixture is light and pale. With mixer on low, beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Alternately, beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined
- Pour half the batter into the tin and add half cup of strawberries.Add the other half of the batter followed by adding the other half of sliced strawberries and cranberries. Top with flaked almonds.
- Bake at 180C until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. It should take about 30-32 minutes.
* You can make your own buttermilk. Add 1 tbsp of white vinegar to 3/4 cup milk and let the mixture rest for 5-7 minutes.