- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk*
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced.
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- Pre- heat the oven to 180 degrees. Brush a 9″ tart tin with melted butter using a pastry brush.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugar until the mixture is light and pale. With mixer on low, beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Alternately, beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined
- Pour half the batter into the tin and add half cup of strawberries.Add the other half of the batter followed by adding the other half of sliced strawberries and cranberries. Top with flaked almonds.
- Bake at 180C until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. It should take about 30-32 minutes.
* You can make your own buttermilk. Add 1 tbsp of white vinegar to 3/4 cup milk and let the mixture rest for 5-7 minutes.