It is just March and it is already so hot here, in Delhi. I hate summers or say Delhi summers. I’m a winter baby- I like being wrapped in layers and layers of clothes and blankets. I like sipping on my hot chocolate on a cold morning. I love the fog and basically everything about winters. And so, I am posting this recipe of Mini Fruit and Nut Cakes and remembering how nice everything seemed in winters!
I’m clearly the last person who is excited about summers but what I’m excited for in experimenting with new ingredients in the kitchen. The recipe that I have here today- Mini Fruit and Nut Cakes- is all about having fun with fruits and nuts. These mini cakes are orange-cranberry-almond cakes topped with whipped cream and fresh berries
I’ve used egg in the recipe but you can use 1.5 cups yogurt in place of that. If you don’t have mini cake pans, put the entire batter into a regular round pan.
- 1 + 1/2 cups superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups all- purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tea-spoons baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- zest of one orange
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup crushed almonds and chopped dried cranberries, mixed
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- berries of your choice- strawberries, cape gooseberries, blueberries
- fresh mint leaves, to garnish
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C. Butter 6 mini bundt cake pans.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar with oil.
- Add eggs and beat well after each edition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and orange zest.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture in 3 additions, alternating with orange juice. Mix only until well combined. Do not over-mix!
- Fold in the almonds and cranberries into the batter.
- Pour the batter into prepared pans, filling half way to the top. Bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes or until a tooth-pick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once the cakes have completely cooled, top them with whipped cream and berries. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.