Happy World Chocolate Day! I love these days that celebrate the finer things in life. I’m celebrating the chocolate day with this decadent eggless chocolate orange cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting and I also made it last week for my best friend’s birthday and everyone at the party wiped it clean within minutes. It’s that good!
Orange and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations. Adding the zest of an entire orange into this cakes make is so flavorful and fun, and obviously delicious!
The cream cheese frosting is an absolute favorite and just imagine adding chocolate to it which makes it ten times richer and tastier! It makes the eggless chocolate orange cake so much better than a normal un-frosted cake. Add some coffee powder in the frosting, which does not only enhance the flavor but also stabilizes the sweet taste of the frosting.
Ingredients for the Eggless Chocolate Orange Cake
This recipe requires you to use Greek yogurt but you can simply go for curd hung overnight. I think yogurt is the best substitute for eggs, but if you’re looking for more, you can also refer to my blog post about all egg substitutes possible!
If you’d like to use condensed milk for this eggless chocolate orange cake, just use one cup of condensed milk instead of the yogurt and 3/4 cup water instead of milk and you’re pretty much sorted!
Also, since the recipe uses orange zest, remember to wash the orange properly, zest only until the orange part, and always extract fresh zest so it can give your chocolate orange cake the perfect orange flavor it deserves!
Tip to bake the eggless chocolate orange cake in Microwave
Wishing to bake the eggless chocolate orange cake in the microwave? All you have to do while baking this cake in the microwave is to reduce the baking time by 25%. So, this cake goes in the microwave convection mode for exactly 22.5 minutes!
Other Orange infused cake recipes that you can try
If you’re not a huge chocolate fan, you can still try out other orange infused recipes, from spiced orange cake to my personal favorite, the orange almond cake, you guys need to try them out right now so your taste buds can feel heavenly. Click here for more!
- 1 and ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cups cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 + ¼ cup castor sugar
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (or curd hung overnight)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ cup crushed walnuts, to decorate
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Line a 9"round cake tin/ bundt pan with parchment paper
- Whisk cocoa, flour, orange zest, baking soda, baking powder
andespresso powder into a bowl
- In a large bowl, beat together
beatland sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with milk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Mix only until well combined. Don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake at 180C for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- To make the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter together for 4-5 minutes.
- While the mixer is running, gradually add sugar, cocoa powder
- Keep beating until the frosting is light, fluffy and smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, cover it with the chocolate frosting and decorate with crushed walnuts.