It’s raining eggless recipes on the blog. Don’t you agree? I shared the eggless chocolate orange cake recipe yesterday and eggless peanut butter-chocolate bars day before that. So, today I’m sharing this very simple recipe of eggless lemon cupcakes. They’re very flavorful and super delishh! I top these eggless lemon cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, that I absolutely love (recipe here).
INGREDIENTS FOR THE LEMON CUPCAKES
These cupcakes are very easy to whip up. The recipe calls for Greek Yogurt, but, if you don’t have that on hands, simply hang home-made curd overnight and use that.
The recipe requires you to zest lemons and there are some pointers I’d like you guys to keep in mind-
-properly rinse the lemon because while extracting the zest, we use the outer skin which is overly exposed to chemicals and impurities
-using a micro-plane grater will help you with extra fine zest
-Grate only until the yellow part because it gets bitter beyond that.
-always extract the zest while you’re baking
WHAT TO KEEP IN MIND WHILE BAKING THESE EGGLESS LEMON CUPCAKES
Please remember- while combining dry and wet ingredients, do not over mix the batter. If you mix it too vigorously, you’ll end up with dense cupcakes and if made correctly, these eggless lemon cupcakes are very light and fluffy!
I also have an entire post dedicated to baking your cupcakes perfectly because I always have your back, guys! Haha! You can check it out here.
FOR THE FROSTING
I go with my staple cream cheese frosting with these eggless lemon cupcakes and honestly, if I had it my way, every cupcake and cake would have a cream cheese frosting simply because how beautifully decadent it is! This recipe of cream cheese frosting is sturdy, pipe-able, and so, this is your best friend when it comes to frosting. Find the recipe here.
But, you can also go with buttercream frosting if you prefer that over cream cheese frosting. Find the recipe here.
I’m also very happy these days to see that there are SO many of you who are trying out recipes from the website these days. It is very exciting to see you guys enjoy the recipes here and recreate them in your kitchens. This is why I do what I do! If you make these eggless lemon cupcakes, don’t forget to share images with me. In case you post pictures on Instagram, don’t forget to use #bakewithshivesh.
- 1 +1/2 cup all purpose flour (maida)- 180g
- ½ teaspoon baking soda- 3g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder- 4g
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest- 6g
- ¾ cup vegetable oil- 180mL
- 1 + ½ cup castor sugar -300g
- 1 cup Greek yogurt- 285g
- 5 tablespoon lemon juice- 75mL
- ½ cup milk- 120mL
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Line a cupcake trey of 12 with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and lemon zest
- In a separate bowl, beat vegetable oil and sugar.
- Beat in the Greek yogurt and lemon juice.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three batches, alternating with milk. Use a spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes or until the cupcakes are golden brown and cooked through.
- Your eggless lemon cupcakes are ready. Once cooled, top with cream cheese frosting.