I love a classic banoffee pie! Its so simple yet delicious. So I thought of taking these flavours and making a cheesecake out of it, because who can resist cheesecakes also now? This banoffee cheesecake has four components- a classic biscuit base, a cream cheese filling, a caramel sauce topping and some sliced bananas to top it off.
How to make a no-bake cheesecake
Since we’re not baking this cheesecake, we’re using gelatine to set it. You can either use gelatine sheets, or powdered gelatine. I have used powdered gelatine for this recipe. Sprinkle gelatine powder over a bowl of cold water in order for it to bloom. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes. Before adding it to the cream cheese mixture, microwave it until its a clear liquid. Refrigerate overnight.
How to make caramel sauce
For this recipe, I’m making a dry caramel. That means, I take only sugar in a saucepan and allow it to melt and turn into an amber colour. Make sure that the cream you add to this caramelised sugar is not cold as it would crystallise the sugar. Allow for the caramel to cool before you pour it onto the cheesecake.
- 1¼ cup crushed digestive biscuits
- ½ cup melted better
- 1½ cups cream cheese
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1.5 teaspoon gelatine powder + 3 tbsp water
- For the caramel-
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup cream
- 1 banana, slices (to top)
- To make the crust add the crushed biscuits and the melted butter in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Line a 6 inch spring form pan with parchment paper.
- Press down the butter biscuit mixture into the prepared pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl add the gelatine over the water to let it bloom.
- To make the filling beat the cream cheese and icing sugar in a bowl together until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix.
- Gently fold in the whipping cream and mix well.
- Microwave the bloomed gelatine for 20 seconds and add it to the filling and mix well.
- Add the cheesecake filling on the crust and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- To make the caramel, heat the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until an amber colour is achieved.
- Add the butter and mix until completely melted and mixed.
- Add the cream whisking constantly as the mixture will bubble vigorously.
- Let the caramel cool completely.
- Pour the cooled caramel on top of the cheesecake and top with banana slices.