I’ve always worked towards making really good recipes that is worth being in everybody’s repertoire. After all these years of baking, I have realized that I love recipes that are quick, simple and less effort but at the same time also pack a punch of flavor. Who doesn’t like desserts that take pantry ingredients and simple equipment to get you a treat that’s truly delicious?
Today, we are making a red velvet cake that is as simple and gets cooked in the microwave. Everything comes together in 10 minutes so that you get more time to enjoy the cake with your loved ones! We’re also making a cream cheese frosting to go with it, so let’s get started.
Components of microwave red velvet cake
If you’ve always thought that making red velvet cake is too much of a hassle, then you’ll absolutely love this microwave red velvet cake. It gives you a really moist and velvety red velvet sponge which is eggless and doesn’t need too many utensils or even an oven. You throw everything in a blender, blend and cook it in the microwave’s heating mode for 7 minutes. However, if you want to bake the cake in an OTG, you can go ahead and do that at 180 degrees celsius for 30 minutes.
The velvety texture of this microwave red velvet cake is perfectly complimented by a tangy and sweet cream cheese frosting. It’s my go-to frosting for anything red velvet. In case you want to understand how to make the perfect frostings, you can read my guide here.
MAKING A CAKE IN THE MICROWAVE
Making cakes in the microwave makes life so easy! For the microwave red velvet cake, all you need to do is use the normal heating mode. Once the batter is ready and poured into the prepared dish, place it inside the microwave and set the timer for 7 minutes.
Now all you have to do is wait for 7 minutes and watch your cake rise like magic!
Every microwave is different. It’s possible that your microwave might take a few minutes less or more. You can definitely play with the timing accordingly. Just make sure it’s completely cooked!
How to make the best cream cheese frosting
Honestly, we all are pretty much done with the conventional frostings. Vanilla buttercream and whipped cream on another dessert will just be too boring for me. I have always been a cream cheese frosting admirer because it’s not that sweet, it’s beautifully tangy and goes well with just about anything!
There are a thousand different cream cheese frosting recipes over the internet. But, if not done right, your frosting will get too runny, won’t pipe properly. Worse off, if you are making more than one tiers, your cakes might slip right off. This is why it is super important to get the perfect recipe for this frosting. This is where I come into the picture! I am going to share world’s best frosting with you guys and you can find the recipe below!
You need ½ cup butter, softened, 1 cup cream cheese, 1.5 cups icing sugar, and 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract. To prepare, in a bowl beat the butter and cream cheese together until the mixture is light and fluffy. While the mixture is running gradually add the icing sugar and the vanilla extract and mix well until well combined. Don’t over-mix because that never makes anything better. Haha.
Tips for making microwave red velvet cake
- Make sure you grease and line your microwave-safe dish, otherwise you’ll have a tough time getting your cake out of the oven. If you’re a fan of taking a spoon and digging straight in, then you don’t have to worry about greasing but in every other case, always line your pans properly.
- Since this red velvet cake is being cooked in the microwave, the batter is going to be slightly runnier than normal cake batters. Don’t fret and start adding more dry ingredients, because this is how it is supposed to be!
- Every microwave is different and it may take lesser or more time for the microwave red velvet cake to bake in your microwave. Keep an eye out for the rise and do a skewer test once you hit the 5 minute mark just to make sure you don’t undertake or over-bake your cake.
- Make sure you always pick up gel colors as they will make sure you get the distinct red color needed in a red velvet cake. Not just baking, good food color is important in terms of health also!
Quickest red velvet cake recipe
- 1 + ½ cup (180g) all purpose flour/ maida, sifted
- 2 tablespoons (15g) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (6g) baking soda
- 1 cup (200g) castor sugar
- ½ cup (120mL) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (72g) yogurt
- 2 teaspoons (10mL) vanilla extract (optional)
- 2-3 drops red gel food color
- 1 + ¼ cup (300ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (225gm) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (100gm) butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 + ½ cup (195gm) icing sugar, sifted
- Grease a microwave dish and line it with parchment paper.
- In a blender, add sugar, oil, vanilla, yogurt, buttermilk, and red gel color. Also add in the sifted maida, cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Blend everything till you get a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish and cook it in the microwave for 7 minutes at normal cooking mode.
- Once cooked, take it out of the microwave and let it cool down.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, in a bowl beat the butter and cream cheese together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- While the mixture is running gradually add the icing sugar and the vanilla extract and mix well until well combined. Don’t over-mix.
- Finish the cake by spreading a generous layer of cream cheese frosting on top and garnishing with sprinkles.
- Slice and enjoy!
In case you enjoyed this recipe and recreate this in your kitchens, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram / Facebook using #bakewithshivesh. Happy Baking!