These decadent and tangy Orange Tarts are all you need in life. Trust me when I say this.
The orange almond cake on the blog is the best orange cake that I have ever tasted and now, I am absolutely obsessed with these orange tarts with a dollop of almond cream.
Growing up, I used to taste all sorts of citrus-y tarts and when I created these orange tarts, I was overwhelmed with so much nostalgia, I can’t even explain. The first bite of the orange tart is filled with orange goodness and the flavor of the almond cream, although dense, is perfectly balanced with the tanginess of the oranges. And, all of these scintillating flavors in an amazing crust!
These Orange Tarts are also very nutritious and healthy. You can easily give these to your kids as a healthy dessert!
- 1/2 cup butter (113 grams/ 8 tbsp)
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 + 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- zest of one orange
ALMOND CREAM (Recipe adapted from the recipe by chef Neha Lakhani)
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 egg
- 2-3 drops of almond extract
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp corn flour
- zest of one orange
- 2 tablespoons butter
- To make the base of the tart, preheat the oven to 190C
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg yolk
- Mix in flour and beat until the dough begins to come together.
- Knead the dough and divide into two equal halves. Wrap them with plastic wrap individually and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes or until the dough is firm.
- Roll out the dough and line the tart tins with the rolled out dough. Chill in the freezer for another 15 minutes.
- To make the almond cream, combine all the ingredients together.
- Pour the almond cream on chilled tart shells and bake for 30-35 minutes at 190C or until the almond cream puffs up and the tart shell is golden-brown
- To make the orange curd, mix orange juice, eggs, sugar and corn flour in a saucepan.
- Bring the sauce pan to medium heat and whisk continuously. Cook until the curd begins to thicken and coats the back of spoon. Bring it off the heat and mix in butter and orange zest. Chill completely.
- Top the tarts with cooled orange curd and let the tarts chill in the fridge for at-least 10-15 minutes before serving