A classic pecan pie is a staple of holiday baking. This caramel pecan tart is my go to recipe for Christmas! I love making it and every body knows I take it to all parties during the holidays. This pecan tart has the perfect chocolate tart shell filled with the yummiest caramel sauce. While you can always use store bought caramel, I do not understand why, since it is so easy to make!
How to make caramel
While making caramel may seem daunting at first, once you get a hang of it, it is the most effortless job, ever! I prefer making a dry caramel as there is no risk of crystallisation as with a wet caramel. I use granulated sugar to make it. One tip to always keep in mind while making caramel is to warm the cream before adding it to the sugar. Adding cold cream would cause for the sugar to set instantly! Since I use salted butter, I do not add salt later, but if you’re using unsalted butter, you could add sea salt to the caramel because it really brings out the flavour!
Where can I find pecans?
Pecans are not native to India and can be difficult to find. They might look similar to walnuts but have an incredibly crisp, buttery texture. I buy mine from INA market but they’re available at all major grocery stores.
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup cream
- 1½ cup pecans
- To make the tart shell, cream together the butter and sugar
- Beat in the egg
- Combine flour and cocoa powder and add that to the butter mixture.
- Press the dough into a tart pan and bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes.
- To make the caramel, heat the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until an amber colour is achieved.
- Add the butter and mix until completely melted and mixed.
- Add the cream whisking constantly as the mixture will bubble vigorously.
- Let the caramel cool completely.
- Pour the caramel into the tart and arrange pecans on top.
- Bake at 180C for another 15 minutes.
Leave a Reply