It’s already August! How? I think before I realise, it’ll be time for me to share Christmas recipes ha ha. On a serious note, I want to thank all my readers for being so supportive so far. Last month, I managed to double the traffic on the website. Thank you for visiting bakewithshivesh.com and for trying out the recipes I share here. This month, I’ll be churning out more exciting content and recipes, so please stay tuned! The first recipe for this month- whole wheat orange blueberry muffins!
Muffins are a great dessert and I personally love them because you don’t have to stress out frosting or decorating them. They’re so good as it is. These whole wheat orange blueberry muffins have a rustic look, which I love. These muffins are a burst of flavor because I use fresh orange juice as well as orange zest.
For those of you who stay away from refined flour, these whole wheat orange blueberry muffins are a great option. They’re not only made using whole wheat but are also packed with oats. The recipe calls for eggs. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for eggs here. Since these muffins are made using whole wheat flour and oats, not using eggs will make the muffins tough and dense. You need eggs to make them fluffy.
I make these muffins with fresh blueberries but you can use dried blueberries. Even dried cranberries will be great. You can also used sliced plums!
If you love making muffins as much as I do, you must also give these recipes a shot-
Also, I’ll be sharing the recipe video of these whole wheat orange blueberry muffins on my Instagram, so do watch it there! If you make these muffins, don’t forget to share a picture with me or share it on social media with #BakeWithShivesh.
MAKES 12 LARGE MUFFINS
- 2 cups (240g) whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp (16g) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (90g) traditional oats
- 1/2 cup (120mL) milk
- 1 + 1/4 cup (300mL) orange juice
- 1 tbsp (6g) Orange zest
- 1 cup (100g) fresh blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C and line a muffin pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk whole wheat flour and baking powder together to combine
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter with castor sugar until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Fold in the oats. Beat in the milk.
- Add the flour mixture into the batter in two batches, alternating with orange juice.
- Mix until everything is well combined.
- Fold in the orange zest and fresh blueberries.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, transfer the batter into the lined muffin pan. Top with more oats and blueberries if you like
- Bake the muffins at 200C for for 15 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 150C and bake for another 15 minutes or until the muffins are golden-brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Your whole wheat orange blueberry muffins are ready!