Christmas is almost here and I just can not stop baking! I know a lot of people whose Christmas celebration is not complete without wine. If you’re one of those people, I have the perfect recipe of this Pear Upside Down Cake for you guys.
I ordered two bottles of Merlot from Big Banyan Wines this Christmas and everyone said they loved both the wine and the Pear Upside Down Cake! Merlot is a friendly wine. It is a fun, quintessential red for every noeuveu connoisseur. Its plummy smooth finish is further heightened when made from the ripe berry. Merlot is easy on your palate and your mood- perfect for this yummy Pear Upside Down Cake Christmas cake!
You can check out the beautiful collection of wines at Big Banyan Wines here
- 1 cup Big Banyan Merlot wine
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 large pears, pealed and sliced
For the cake-
- butter, to line the tin
- 5-6 tablespoons lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tea-spoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- In a milk-pan, combine wine, water, sugar, orange juice with the cinnamon stick and orange peel and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and add sliced pears and let it simmer until tender. This may take about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the pears are tender, take them out.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C. Grease the pan with butter and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly on the base.
- Arrange the fruit in an even layer on top of the sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugar.
- With mixer on low, beat in eggs one at a time. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with milk, and starting and ending with flour mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Carefully pour the batter over the arranged fruit and bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden-brown. Let the cake rest in the tin for 10-15 minutes before taking it out.