For the salted caramel
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp coarse sea salt
For the cake
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp salted caramel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans + whole pecans for garnish
For salted caramel:
- In a sauce pan set over medium heat, cook sugar until it begins to melt and gets an amber brown colour.
- Add butter to the sugar and mix vigorously with a whisk until it melts and the mixture becomes smooth.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add cream and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Bring the caramel to room temperature.
For the cake:
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C and butter a bundt cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and vegetable oil. Beat until the mixture is pale and light.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add salted caramel and mix until well combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sea salt to the wet ingredients and mix only until well combined. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Unmould after the cake is completely cooled. Let it sit on a wire rack to further cool it.
- Top with salted caramel and garnish with whole pecans.
Read this recipe on FoodHallOnline.com HERE