If you follow me on Instagram ( @shivesh17 ), you’ll know that I am doing a collaboration with FoodHall. FoodHall has been my favourite store ever since I started baking and I am so proud to be collaborating with it. All the recipes under this collaboration will feature the best and my favourite ingredients from FoodHall.
For this recipe I picked peaches, blackberries, lemon and thyme.
I love galettes for the simple fact that they are rustically beautiful. They are not difficult to make like pies are and taste equally good. I am always intimidated by making pies but galettes are much simpler.
I especially love this galette because the tart blackberries compliment the sweet peaches beautifully. It also has flavours of lemon, honey and thyme. Dust it with some icing sugar, garnish it with fresh thyme and serve it warm with whipped cream or a large scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
Here are a few tips you should keep in mind.
- The butter should be cold at all times. Cube your butter and keep it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before adding it to the dough.
- Your pie dough should come together but should not be wet. If you think your dough is wet or sticky, add more flour
- It is very important to let the dough chill in the fridge for at least an hour before you begin to roll it. If you feel your dough is breaking at any stage of the process because the butter has softened too much, put your dough into the fridge and start again!
- Do not be tempted to not let your galette rest in the freezer for an hour before popping it into the oven. This helps the galette to retain it’s shape.
- You can use the same recipe to make four mini galettes instead of one large galette.
- If you don’t consume eggs, simply brush your galette with milk instead of egg-wash.
For the dough-
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons ice water
For the filling-
- 3 large peaches sliced
- 10 blackberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Thyme for flavour
For the egg wash-
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, to sprinkle
- To make the dough, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add in the butter and pulse to mix in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Slowly add in the water, a tablespoon at a time, mixing with a spatula after each addition. The dough should come together when pinched.
- Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator for an hour.
- To make the filling, toss together the sliced peaches, lemon juice, thyme, sugar, honey and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside for some time so that all the flavours get infused together.
- After the dough has chilled, roll it out into a circle on a floured surface.
- Place it onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Arrange the peach slices on the rolled out dough leaving a 1-inch border. Place the blackberries in the centre. Fold the sides of the dough onto the peach slices.
- Let the galette rest in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Pre heat the oven to 400F
- Lightly brush the galette with egg wash and sprinkle brown sugar.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the galette turns golden brown.