I’ve always emphasized on the importance of the right equipment for making great cakes. You can mix the batter using a spoon but using a spatula makes all the difference! If you bake seriously, or want to start doing that, make sure you invest in some basic bake ware and equipment. Home Centre is your one stop shop for all the equipment you need. Their wide variety of products never fails to amaze me and what makes it even better is their price range, that is so affordable. To begin with make sure you pick up the essentials like a mixing bowl, spatula, whisk, a round spring form and measuring cups. A pastry brush is another essential. Luckily, Home Centre has it all and much more. Make sure you check out their wide collection of products HERE.
We also made a video for this recipe in association with Home Centre. You can watch the video HERE
- 2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tea-spoons baking powder
- Zest of one orange
- 1 + 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice/ milk
- one cup whipped cream
- 2 cups assorted red berries
- Lightly brush your cake pans with oil/ butter and dust with all purpose flour. Line with parchment paper. Pre-heat your over to 180C.
- In a medium bowl, combine all purpose flour, orange zest and baking powder. Whisk until well combined.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil until the mixture becomes light and pale.
- Add eggs, one by one, mixing well after each edition. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three batches, alternating with milk/ orange juice. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into a prepared tin and bake for 40-50 minutes at 180C.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, cover with whipped cream and top with red berries