I love chocolate cakes! Who doesn’t? It is always fun to experiment with the basic chocolate cake recipe and add a little something to it. I picked up everything chocolatey from my favourite store, FoodHall – cocoa powder, cooking chocolate, chocolate macarons among other ingredients.
I love the patisserie at FoodHall and the macarons were fantastic!
I worked around my basic chocolate cake recipe to make a two layer chocolate hazelnut cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting. This cake will make a perfect birthday cake!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp nutella
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, roasted and crushed
- 340 grams dark chocolate
- 680 grams / 24 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
10-12 Hazelnuts, roasted and crushed for filling ( optional)
Chocolate and coffee macarons for decoration
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C. Oil the cake tin. Dust pans with cocoa, tap out extra
- Whisk cocoa, flour, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl
- In a large bowl, cream oil and sugar. Add Nutella and mix well.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix well after each addition
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with milk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Beat until smooth
- Fold in the hazelnut.
- Pour the batter into 2 pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. This will take 30-40 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Mix in melted chocolate until combined.
- Keep a completely cooled flat layer of the chocolate hazelnut cake on the serving plate and cover with a generous layer of frosting. Sprinkle with hazelnuts
- Place the other layer of chocolate cake on it and cover entirely with frosting using an offset spatula.
- Decorate with macarons