Happy World Chocolate Day! I love these days that celebrate the finer things in life. I’m celebrating chocolate day with this decadent eggless chocolate orange cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting. I also made it last week for my best friend’s birthday and everyone at the party wiped it clean within minutes. It’s that good!
Orange and chocolate is one of my favourite combinations. Adding zest of an entire orange into this cakes make is so flavorful and fun. The cream cheese frosting is an absolute favorite. I makes the eggless chocolate orange cake even better. I also add some coffee powder in the frosting making it taste so good.
This eggless chocolate orange cake makes for the perfect treat to celebrate World Chocolate Day but if you’re looking for something more, check these recipes out-
- triple chocolate banana bread
- gluten free chocolate tart
- double chocolate cookies
- back to basics chocolate cake
Let’s get started!
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 + 1/4 cup castor sugar
- 1 cup Greek yogurt ( or curd hung over night)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts, to decorate
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Line a 9″round cake tin/ bundt pan with parchment paper
- Whisk cocoa, flour, orange zest, baking soda, baking powder and espresso powder into a bowl
- In a large bowl, beat together beatl and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with milk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Mix only until well combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake at 180C for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- To make the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter together for 4-5 minutes.
- While the mixer is running, gradually add sugar, cocoa powder and espresso powder.
- Keep beating until the frosting is light, fluffy and smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, cover it with the chocolate frosting and decorate with crushed walnuts.