I love working with pistachios- they’re beautiful and lend a great flavor and texture to cake.I use Greek yogurt in the cake, which works great in place of eggs. I’ve been baking a lot of desserts with nuts these day and the best part is that the possibilities are endless. There is so much you can do with nuts in the kitchen. So many flavors you can pair with them. Some of my favorite nut desserts from the blog are chocolate hazelnut cake, mini fruit and nut cakes and the apple-blackberry-walnut cake
This pistachio cake is great with figs and a generous drizzle of maple syrup. Happy Baking!
1 cup pistachios
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4th cup castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup thick Greek yogurt
1/2 cup milk
Whipped cream and Fresh figs to top
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C. Prepare a loaf tin and line it with parchment paper
- In a food processor, finely crush the pistachios. Don’t over do it, otherwise it’ll become a paste.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder and nutmeg
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until the mixture is fluffy. Add yogurt.
Add in the vanilla and mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three batches, alternating with the milk. Do not over mix. Mix only until well combined.
- Divide the batter equally between both the pans and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Once the cake is cool, top with whipped cream and fresh figs.