Chocolate and pears are a classic combination that every one seems to love. For some reasons, I never got myself to work with both these ingredients together. This had to change. One Sunday, I pulled out some staple ingredients from my kitchen shelf- whole wheat flour from 24 Mantra Organic, brown sugar, eggs, cinnamon, among others. I love whole wheat flour cakes. You have to try out organic whole wheat flour- makes so much difference! I used cinnamon, ginger and orange zest to spice the chocolate cake. To add that extra kick, I also added a pinch of organic chili powder from 24 Mantra. That was a good decision!
- 1 + 1/2 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 + 1/4 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs/ 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- zest of one orange
- 1 tsp organic chili powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 large pears, peeled
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Brush a loaf tin with melted butter. Dust the with cocoa, tap out extra.
- Whisk together cocoa, flour, orange zest, cinnamon powder, ginger powder, chili powder, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, beat oil and sugar until the mixture is pale.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix well after each addition. If you’re not using eggs, beat in 1 cup of yoghurt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with milk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Beat until smooth
- Pour the batter into the pan. Place peeled whole pears in the batter.
- Bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean