ORANGE ALMOND CAKE
I’m being shameless and calling this cake the best orange almond cake because it is the best cake I’ve baked in a while. I’ve been wanting to bake an orange almond cake for the longest time now. I baked one almost a year back. It was delicious but I never wrote down the recipe. Since then, an orange almond cake keeps popping up in my head. I finally made another one and guess what? This one is even better! And I even have the recipe this time for you guys. YAY!
Orange and almonds are a great combination. I work with these flavors a lot. Remember my orange tarts with almond cream? The flavors of this cake is equally good and the texture is to die for. I use orange zest and orange juice in the batter for the flavour. I also use ground almonds in the recipe for a very interesting texture. My recipe of this best orange almond cake calls for eggs. You can try using 2 cups greek yogurt in place of eggs. I’ve not tried it myself but you may give it a shot, if you are willing to experiment.
More orange desserts to try-
- orange chia loaf cake
- orange upside down cake ( this is eggless!)
- flour less orange cake
- vegan orange loaf cake
I’ll also be sharing step by step making of this cake on my Instagram stories, so don’t forget to follow me there.
- 1 + 1/2 cup (180gm) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup ground almonds ( I ground them with the skin on)
- 2 teaspoons (8gm) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (6gm) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (2gm) fresh orange zest
- 1/2 cup (113gm) butter, softened
- 1 cup (200gm) caster sugar
- 4 eggs or 2 cups (570gm) Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon (5mL)vanilla extract/ 2 drops almond essence
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cu (43g) flaked almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Line a 8″ round cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter with sugar until it is light and creamy.
- Add the eggs- one at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- Mix in the vanilla and the orange juice.
- In batches, carefully fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over mix. Mix only until everything is well combined.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. Top with flaked almonds.
- Bake at 180C for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Your best orange almond cake is now ready!